What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB 7a Build Time

SteveHRV7

I'm about 450 hours in on my QB 7a. I am trying to get an idea of how many hours of building time it actually took those of you with completed QB 7a to complete your project. I need some inspiration about now - I am beginning to understand the comment "80% done with 80% to go". Thanks!

quickbuild time

I'd be interested to hear this also... i just finished my empennage and am expecting the QB wings and fuselage next month... get excited about lots of building but curious how long it'll take me at 10 hours a week...

Hi Steve,
You didn't say where you are on your project, so it's hard to say how much you have left. Van's website states 800-1200 hours to finish a quickbuild. I'm guessing it's something closer to the high end of that. I've probably got 1,500 hours in mine, but that includes painting it myself, which was a huge amount of work.

I think the hours are tough to figure...It almost makes more sense to put in terms of years and/or months. I built a QB -7A and did everything myself. Including building the ECI 0-360 kit engine (with the help of an A&P, of course), painting it, all the elctrical, etc. Not counting the paint, I had it flying in 2 years & 4 months. I worked pretty steady on it, and if I had to guess, most of the time I averaged 12 hours a week.

There were a couple times when I just didn't feel like building. I had a serious case of being fed-up about 5 months before moving it to the hangar. That lasted for almost 2 months and it seemed like I was never making any progress. Everything was such a small detailed task at that point...I didn't seem to get any gratifictation.

But, if you persist, the rewards of your efforts can be a lot more than you think! Hang in there...just dedicate 10 hours a week and you'll have it flying in less than a couple years. Trust me, 2 years is not that long! ;)

On a -7 slo-build, I completed right at 6 years, doing about 10 hrs a week (around 1400 hrs) and that included a new kid, relocation and two new jobs during that time. Just keep plugging away, chew it up into smaller projects, and you'll git 'er done! It's all worth it in the end!

By the way, just a quick follow up. I found the overall project to be pretty enjoyable, but there were 2 parts of it that I wouldn't wish on anyone! They were the canopy and the cowl/FAB/baffle. I count the cowl/FAB/baffle as one part because they were all done one right after the other and I didn't like any of them! Separately, they're not difficult, but I combine the 3 to make it one big effort that (in my opinion) sucked!

An interesting side benefit (to me anyway): I was out working on the airplane today (Pitch Servo for the autopilot needs repair). As I was sitting there removing the servo, I looked into the aft fuselage at the different things there and I could recall details about all of it! I feel as if the experience of building my airplane gave me so much more insight and satisfaction than if I had just bought an airplane. (My last airplane was an experimental built by someone else, and I didn't know nearly as much about that aircraft as I do about this one!).

Building certainly isn't for everyone. If you don't like building, just buy an airplane and enjoy it. If you like building AND flying, then enjoy the build while you can! You'll be flying it very soon and you'll appreciate what you've accomplished. :)

Last edited:
One build website I just looked at....

The hours he mentioned to slow build an RV-7:

Empennage: 181 hours
Wings: 469 hours
Fuselage: 511 hours
Finish: 800 hours

Total: 1961 hours

At 12 hours a week, that's just over 3 years. Bump it up to 20 hours a week and it's flying in 22 months. Maybe I should move into the garage?
:)

Time to build...

Steve,

My slow build RV-7 took me three years and ten months. I rebuilt the engine, did my own paint, and did all of my own panel/wiring. I completely enjoyed building, and now I'm enjoying flying off my phase one time.

My shop is in my backyard, so I could head out at almost any time and spend a couple of hours bucking rivets. Building at home will easily cut your building time in half.

You didn't mention if you have any builder support. I had four or five guys who would stop by regularly and buck rivets, help with the engine rebuild, feed wire through conduit, and tell lots of "hangar flying" stories. I also had family support, especially my wife and 16 year old son. Are you in the local EAA chapter? There's probably a couple of RV builders there, or even some "newbies" who would love to get involved in a project. More hands makes the work easier, more enjoyable, and go much faster!

Finally, head down to the airport and wander around the hangars. It may help if you choose a warmer day when the hangars are opened up. Peek your head in and introduce yourself around. Sometimes just getting in the same hangar with a completed RV will get you motivated. I even managed to get several flights in RV's while I was building by doing this.

Long story short... Just keep on making parts. When you can't make any more parts, start bolting the parts together. When there are no more parts to bolt together, put some gas in it and go flying.:D

We have done it in 1100 hours. Standard as per Uncle Van's instructions and including painting. Keep on pounding! When it flies, you will never look back :)

Another follow up

Steve makes a great point about building at home vs. a hangar. I had the advantage of spending 25 months out of a 27 month build in my garage. If I had to drive to a hangar to build I would probably only be halfway done by now!

Build time

5 years and just under 1200 hours. That includes re-dos of numerous sub-assemblies. It's true that there are a few areas that are tougher than others but the reason for the homebuilt aircraft movement is for education. There are some of us who are fiberglass whizzes, some are electronic gurus but probably none of us are experts at all parts of the aircraft building process. By the time I was finished, I was much better at muddling through some of these tougher areas such as fiberglass work. I heartily agree with the other poster who said: "enjoy the process". It's interesting to see some of the people who are very active on VAF during the build process only end up selling their bird later. Nothing wrong with this it just indicates that some are builders, some are fliers, some are both. Remember, this is a hobby for enjoyment not frustration. (Probably the reason I don't play golf)

It depends how you record your hours...

I did my QB RV7A in 2450hrs over a period of 4yrs. This also include the paint.

I kept track of every bits of time I've spent on that project. The time recorded start when I got in my workshop and ended-up when i close the light after a working session.
It includes the "real" work, but also all the time spent figuring things out, planning, building spay boots, etc.

Hope this helps

Mike.
RV-7A

I stopped counting around 2300 hr. I worked at least 25 a week for another 6 months before the first flight and that was before I even started the wheel pants and leg fairings.

After your flying, you won't care about the hours ... you'll just be love'n your plane :)

Back