What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Q: RV-10 wiring space over spar

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Just attached the tailcone and working on the baggage/rear-seat floor boards got me thinking more about running wires, static/pitot/aoa tubes, etc....

My question for you all is, are these four holes (two left/right side) adequate? Or are people drilling additional holes through these pieces (F-1004C/D)? I ask because these are relatively thick pieces and thus structural.

Pretty much everything that's going aft of the spar needs to go through these two holes or the two on the right side.

Thanks!

-Jim

Keyword: F-1004C F1004C 1004 F-1004D F1004D F-1004C-R F-1004C-L F-1004D-R F-1004D-L center section bulkhead

I have just finished my wiring :D

I ran cables for battery (#2), standby power (#12), 4 aerials, landing lights, nav lights, strobes, autopilot, twin Skyview ADHARS and pitot/static tubes (1/4"). It was tight but I fitted them all in 2 runs each side - just tied cables - no conduit.

I considered drilling an extra 3/8"hole on each side to take grommets for the pitot/static tubes to free up some space. VANS were non-commital on the effects although they said it would "probably" be OK. I decided against it in the end and it worked out OK. I would be loathe to drill out a further 3/4" hole for a large wiring grommet as these parts are obviously seriously structural. I'm sure those who have done so, though, will find a way of justifying it and shoot me down :rolleyes:

I asked Van's about this specifically, and was told that the existing holes can be drilled out to 3/4 - 1".

Jim Berry
RV-10

Back