What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pushrods F-439/440 Basic Question

DrWalker

My project was partially built when acquired. Previous builder was very precise and fabricated all of the control column components except F-439 & F-440 pushrods. Builder manual is a bit sparse on detail, but it appears that the 6061 T6 3/4” x .058 aluminum tubing gets attached to steel threaded end pieces? Welding steel to aluminum seems like a bad idea! What am I missing?
The long elevator and aileron pushrods are done and given the size, aluminum makes sense. But the weight difference of steel for the smaller pushrods would seem negligible and would seem prudent, given the critical nature of these components.
First time builder... Thanks much!

Attachments

• IMG_4570.jpeg
    IMG_4570.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
My project was partially built when acquired. Previous builder was very precise and fabricated all of the control column components except F-439 & F-440 pushrods. Builder manual is a bit sparse on detail, but it appears that the 6061 T6 3/4” x .058 aluminum tubing gets attached to steel threaded end pieces? Welding steel to aluminum seems like a bad idea! What am I missing?
The long elevator and aileron pushrods are done and given the size, aluminum makes sense. But the weight difference of steel for the smaller pushrods would seem negligible and would seem prudent, given the critical nature of these components.
First time builder... Thanks much!
The equivalent pushrods in the RV-6 are fabricated by riveting the steel ends to the aluminum tubing and the RV-4 is probably the same. Pic from my plans attached.

20240809_153244.jpg

Back