What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulling or pushing an RV-6A

Gary R.

I'm New Here
I've located an RV-6A for sale I want to buy but it's much too heavy for me (due to age and back condition) to push it up the incline leading into my T-hangar.
I'm told the tail tie-down eyelet cannot be winched (the tail goes in first) and the nose wheel cannot be pushed by one of those powered devices.

Is there any way to get the 6A up that incline by myself without risking damage to the plane (and me)?

Pulling or pushing...

Powertow 40EZ. I've got one for sale but you can probably find one a whole lot closer to you in Barnstormers or TAP.

the hanger i was staying in this summer has a terrible pitch before the hanger. it was a two person job to push up. this was my solution. with the hanger open i would taxi up the incline, then turn 90 degrees left as my prop came to the door position. from this point i could push down the tail and turn the tail toward the hanger. from here is was an easy push in the hanger. also, i use the nose in first at home and able to get a fit that way too. good luck.
img2218y.jpg

I'm told the tail tie-down eyelet cannot be winched (the tail goes in first)

Not too sure if this is correct--------I would contact the factory and double check on this statement.

After all, the tie down is there to keep the plane still in windy conditions, I would think there is pretty much the same stress on it if used to move with a winch-----as long as your incline is not out of reason.

Having the tires aired up properly makes a big difference in how easy it is to move the plane.

The original poster and I had this conversation today. I had the understanding that several towbars have popped out of the "tow bolts" and destroyed the wheel pant if too much load/force was applied to it. As far as the rear tiedown hook, it's designed to tie "down", not "back". The builder riveted mine on and it's very strong "down" but you can flex it when you pull it rearward.

I would check with Vans on this, but perhaps an alternate solution would be to run some broad straps around the HS (to distribute the stress) and winch it into the hangar in that manner. I know that a lot of folks (myself included) will often move the airplane by pushing down on the HS to lift the nosewheel and then moving the plane around by pushing on the HS.

greg

Back