What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTT Wiring

jtrollin

Well Known Member
Does it matter which side of the circuit the switch is on..

I have 3 shielded wires coming from the audio panel to the jack and trying to figure out what I need to wire back to my stick for the PTT to work..

Thanks

One, and only one, of those wires goes to the 'tip' connection on the mike jack. That wire goes to ground to activate transmit. So run that wire to the PTT switch on the stick, the other side of the switch to ground. No polarity on the switch, either terminal.
Many do not bother connecting the tip connection on the jack, you only need it for a hand held mike or a portable PTT switch.

And here it is all explained with pictures: AeroElectric article. Notice the diagram showing how the PTT is wired to the tip and ring. However, I personally don't like the mic low going through the shield; I prefer everything as conductors and the shield grounded at the audio panel and floating at the jack. I notice that this is how Aerotronics has wired my system as well (not that we ever discussed this detail).

Last edited:
So if you look at the image below (assuming my inserted image worked) are you saying I just need to attach the wire coming from my PS8000, the red line, to the switch for the PTT on my stick and not connect it to the mic at all?

24g1rhi.jpg

thanks,

Back