What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTT switch wire to MIC socket?

Bob_pipedream

Hi all,

Just about to wire in a new intercom PS1000II and was wondering why it is necessary to run a wire to the Mic socket tip? Could I not just use two core shielded wire to the Mic GND/Low and Audio high and leave the tip disconnected and then run the PTT from ground through the switch on the control column and then directly to the intercom PTT pin in?

Thanks all,

Bob

Bob,
You can certainly do it that way and it will work fine. I think most people like to have an alternate way of keying the mic just in case something goes wrong with the pilot stick switch. Some folks use another panel located switch for this, I just wired the PTT to both mic plugs which gives me the ability to key from the mic plugs. I carry a little portable switch in my flight bag which can be used for this. As I never wired a PTT for the passenger stick (which is out most of the time so the wife can be more comfortable) this portable switch can also be used for the occasional passenger who want to talk on the radio (pass PTT).

Just some thoughts...

Back