What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTT problem

SmilingJack

Well Known Member
So, it's been just over a year and I thought I had thoroughly checked out my "rear seat" stick PTT.

Found out from the pax the other day they could not transmit.

Now, comes the tough part, remembering how I wired this thing after a couple years. Yes, I have a wiring diagram, but now I have to figure out those fine details what, where and how I wired it.

Right now, the front seat headset works perfectly and if I reach back to the rear stick and key the mic I "also" am able to transmit using the front headset. But NO sound is transmitted from the rear headset. The end result is both PTT's transmit on the front headset mic and nothing on the rear headset mic.

I will say that ALL wires for both front and rear PTT are connected into the same terminal block. Is that ok? Or should I separate them?

Any thoughts?

Tell us which intercom and or radio you have. Most intercoms have separate pilot/copilot PTT circuits. Sound like yours are both routed to pilot's PTT.

Fixed!

Since both PTT's were wired to the same terminal block the Pilot PTT overrides the Co-Pilot PTT.

I separated them and ops ck good!

Pretty simple....but I guess it's pretty simple to make a mistake :D

Jack, I think your PTT switch in the rear seat is probably OK, sounds like what you have is a failure of the MIC jack in the rear, maybe a loose wire on the jack. I would check this first. Reach your hand under the panel and squeeze the jack while transmitting and see if you can get it to be intermittent. If so, you'll probably have to remove the jack and re-solder your connections. Another possibility is a bad MIC on your headset: swap headsets and see. Good luck! :)

Back