What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTT Causing Ammeter To Show Discharge

SuperDave

Recently purchased an RV-8 with a King KX-125 Comm and noticed that when you depress the PTT to transmit the ammeter will deflect to the negative side and remain there for as long as you transmit. It will show anywhere from 5 to over 10 amps of discharge! The charging system seems to be working fine otherwise. If you turn on any of the accessories the ammeter responds normally. I ohm'ed the antenna to the airframe to see if there was some kind of short but there doesn't appear to be a problem. Any ideas?

Yes, RF is probably getting into the system. Try transmitting on 118.0 and then 135.9. See if there is any change. If so probably a mismatch in the antenna system somewhere. Is the antenna properly bonded to the aircraft skin? You can not find the problem with an ohm meter. Some antenna manufactures use open DC circuit antenna and some are DC shorted.

Well the radio probably draws that much current when transmitting but it seems like you might have a charging system problem.

Had The Same Problem With Vans Ammeter

After a number of failed attempts at fixing the problem, I bought an EI volt/ammeter. Problem solved.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

After a number of failed attempts at fixing the problem, I bought an EI volt/ammeter. Problem solved.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Terry,
I think you nailed it. It is a Van's ammeter and nothing made sense, even to my EE brother-in-law. I am going to try a few more easy tests like the aforementioned frequency test just for giggles.

Mine does it also

I have the stock Vans guage, and recently installed the Fliteline 760 com in a hole next to the guage..does the same thing, and Im used to it now. When I had a handheld mounted on the armrest, it did not do it, and I am using same belly mounted antena.

Its a well known problem with some of the Van's gauges - ammeter & manifold pressure especially. Some people have developed fixes - search the interweb - but most just live with it.

Pete

Back