What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PS Engineering PM3000 - white noise - thoughts?

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
With all other equipment and the engine turned off I have a background white noise in both headsets. The noise is independent of volume or squelch. It is loud enough to be irritating, and would spoil the enjoyment of music, though not enough to get in the way of communication.

PS Engineering have helpfully offered to take the unit back and test it /exchange it, and that is what I will almost certainly do. They have suggested that possibly an amplifier is shorted to ground. Before I send it on its way across the Atlantic, with all the associated paperwork to defend it from double charging by customs, I am just wondering if there is any external fault in the harness that could possibly cause these symptoms? Anyone? I have checked all the jacks are insulated from their mounting points. As far as I can see they are. Would that cause that problem anyway?

I should also say that if I connect the pilot's headset through the jacks which connect directly to the radio it is crystal quiet when no one is transmitting and the squelch drops out. This rather emphasises the deficiency in the current setup.

Back