What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PS Engineering Launches New Audio Panel/Radio Combo

rvmills

Well Known Member
Mark Scheuer and the gang over at PS Engineering launched a new Audio Panel tonight, the PAR100EX. This unit combines an audio panel/intercom with a radio control head and a remote mounted radio, along with Bluetooth capability! It looks like this could be a game changer in the awesome parade of panel goodies we in the experimental aircraft community are being treated to, and it looks to add a unique choice to experimental builders designing or re-doing their panels!

It can be seen on their website here. Here is a picture from that site:

PAR100EX.jpg

From reading the literature, it looks like the PAR100EX incorporates the following:

- 4 place stereo intercom with Intellivox
- 2 switched transceiver inputs (COMM 1/2)
- 2 switched aux audio inputs (receive only)
- 4 unswitched audio inputs
- Bluetooth capability as seen in the PMA9000EX

Slide-in replacement for a PMA8000, GMA-340 or GMA-240. Remote radio is a Microair 4"x4"X2" unit. Looks like a neat option for a second radio with some real savings in panel real estate. An IFR RV with a 430W as COMM1 could use this instead of another audio panel and a second radio (if they did not want VHF NAV from that radio...ILS/LOC), or a VFR RV could replace an audio panel and a second radio. In either case, this one box replaces 2, and could potentially give panel designers some pretty cool options! With so many integrated EFIS radios out or on the horizon, it may offer even more panel layout options. At an MSRP of $2595, it seems pretty competetive as well (with the multiple items it replaces).

I'm bettin' it'll be at Sun N Fun!

I've just been workin' the COMM2 install plan lately, and man, just when I thought I had studied it all up, and had a plan figured out, this kinda stuff happens! ;) Still working on how I can get a second aviation radio in the tight panel for formation lead work, and salvage a SAR aux radio capability (still workin' it!), but its pretty cool to have so many choices (and to have guys like Mark from PS, Rainier from MGL, Matt from Garmin and Stein as contributors!).

Its good to be experimental, eh! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Now THAT is a cool looking package! It looks like they sat down and asked themselves, "what features do homebuilders actually need?", rather than making us all buy features we don't in existing products. Nicely targeted design.

Paul

Last edited:
I'm glad to see the response to this is positive. As usual, Mark agonized over the smallest details on this, and yes he did his homework - LOTS of homework. I think it'll be a really nice product and a way to add a 2nd comm when people are getting squeezed for room in a panel (which is getting more and more common with the larger screen EFISes). This is one way to solve that problem while still having the ability to utilize the functionality that PSE has made their reputation on. I sorta forgot this week was the release of this thing - otherwise I'd have tried to wet people's appetite a bit!

Anyway, nothing much to add other than PSE is a class act that I really enjoy working with both as a customer and as a dealer.

Cheers,
Stein

This is a game changer. I like the look, simple, clean, not too many buttons. I believe that they will sell a lot of these units, not only does it save panel space but the price is very attractive.

Since it uses a Microair radio you guys might want to check with Microair owners to see how well they like their radios. I happen to know a bit about them technically and I think they're not that good of a design.

Whats the function of A1/A2? Use one for VOR/ILS ident and another for audio like XM or an iPod?

Whats the function of A1/A2? Use one for VOR/ILS ident and another for audio like XM or an iPod?

I spent some time digging through the draft install manual, and talked to a couple guys at PSE, and came up with the following:

The 2 COMM inputs (C1/C2) are standard transceiver inputs.

The 2 AUX inputs (A1/A2) are switchable receive-only inputs, and could be used for NAV idents from a separate NAV radio, a hard-wired music input or any other hard-wired input, IF you wanted them to be quickly de-selectable (Monroy/Zaon traffic, Dynon AOA, Terrain, etc.). In my case, with a third radio, I could listen to COMM 3 (SAR) via A1, and talk on COMM 3 with a hand mic (just another possible use for A1/A2).

The 4 unswitched audio inputs are on pins on the connectors in the back, and those would be the traditional places for the traffic, terrain, and AOA/EFIS warning audio inputs. Those 4 inputs are never muted by the comm radios, and are always delivered to the pilots.

There are also 2 unswitched stereo music inputs on pins on the connectors in the back (I'll call them M1/M2), and those two are soft-muted by comm transmissions (in or out) and intercom transmissions. Looks like they can also be wired via a SPST switch to make them non-muting, which would put them in what PSE calls Karaoke mode (sing-along). M1 is fed to the pilot/co-pilot headsets, and M2 is fed to the other two (pax) headsets (remember, there are 4 intercom positions). M1 is where you would probably wire your XM radio input to. The M1 input is also where the Bluetooth input is fed, so if you have XM radio on and music from a BT device on, or you are on the phone, you would hear both simultaneously, per the tech at PSE. Just something to plan around. The tech also said you could wire switches in to feed M2 to the right seat of a 2 seater as well...getting complex there though (I did a similar thing with my current GMA 340 set up, and still am trying to get it fully functional...probably my wiring!)

Since it uses a Microair radio you guys might want to check with Microair owners to see how well they like their radios. I happen to know a bit about them technically and I think they're not that good of a design.

Bob, I expressed this concern to the tech, as I've heard the same concern elsewhere. The gent said its the latest radio from Microair, and they have been working with it for several months, and are very pleased with it. His quote was, "Its a GREAT radio". Maybe Stein can speak to that.

Mark is at a trade show currently, where the PAR100EX was introduced, and once free from that, he may be able to add more detail.

And for bird...the radio you pointed to, and this panel are what I'm trying to decide between...it looks like a great radio too! Just awesome stuff out there!!

Cheers,
Bob

I have kinda been looking at this radio, lots of features, 6w transmitting and built in audio panel, anyone have experience with it or opinions about it?
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/radios.html

I wasn't aware that the MGL had the capability to control multiple radios ("built in audio panel") that you reference. Perhaps Ranier can comment. I do know it has a intercom in it, and by all accounts the entire MGL radio system has been positively reviewed, but if you use it as a 2nd radio you still need something to control it....I think. Either a real audio panel or a homebrew audio panel. Again, I'm not 100%, but that's what I've gathered. Someonw with more MGL knowledge could possibly comment and set the facts straight.

Cheers,
Stein

Microair

Microair radios were maligned in the soaring community for some time, mostly for troubles related to careless installation of speakers and microphones. I suspect the audio panel side of the new PS unit has this issue sorted out.

I've had a Microair in the Foka for years now, and it's always performed flawlessly. I wouldn't hesitate to use one as a Com2 in an RV.

m

Oh, and one more thing...

I second the comments made here on the quality of PS Engineering products and services. Their support has been absolutely top notch for me. PS audio panels are simply unbeatable.

M

I have kinda been looking at this radio, lots of features, 6w transmitting and built in audio panel, anyone have experience with it or opinions about it?
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/radios.html

It's what I use, no complaints at all for my setup. They have active noise cancelling in the radio which makes my passive halo headsets sound amazing, easily beats bose x and lightspeed zulu. only down side to me is that it only has one external input for music etc., others have found a lower cost ($120) "5 channel stereo mixer" that combines 5 sourses to one output to aliviate this downside. They also have another radio coming out in the smaller size which is supposed to be stereo and a few more bells and whistles, supposedly will be here around oshkosh.

Clarification: there is no built in audio panel, if you want more than one radio you will need a seperate audio panel.

Last edited:
Bob,
Thanks for the details. Very cool stuff. This and a GNS430 look to satisfy all my needs. Bluetooth an iPad/iPod for music, and done!

Odens

Thanks for the input, I am thinking of going with this one, when the time comes. I got it about the audio panel, its not built in but the intercom is, thats what I was referring to. I am going to be vfr only with my rv8 so, to me, it has everything I think I'll need in one small package. Thanks again and happy flying everyone.

bird

PAR100EX

I spent some time digging through the draft install manual, and talked to a couple guys at PSE, and came up with the following:
Mark is at a trade show currently, where the PAR100EX was introduced, and once free from that, he may be able to add more detail.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob:

Hey, thanks for posting the details, and I see you are in Reno. Today's the last day for the AEA's National Convention, if you'd like, stop in and ask for me at the desk, I'll be glad to get you in and give you a demo of it.

One thing I want to correct, is how our music is handled. Music 1 source can be Bluetooth or hardwired, music 2 is hardwired. There are two different distribution modes, controlled by either a front panel press of two buttons or an external switch. Standard mode will put M1 to crew and M2 to pax. Alternate mode places M1 to all headsets.

Second, there actually four music muting modes that are controlled by the front panel button labeled Mute. Mute On, Mute Off, Radio Mute, and Intercom Mute.

The audio panel has two independent power supplies built into the audio panel itself. One for the audio/intercom panel and one for the radio. During power down or in the event the audio panel power is removed by a CB, the display is then powered by the radio power supply and you have 6 seconds to push the radio knob so the radio continues to operate completely independently, or it will shut down completely.

The reception from our Avionics Dealers has been great, but it is a disappointment for them to know the "EX" in the model number indicates it is not FAA certified. The response to our concept really was what I was hoping for, "hey, that's a great idea, that would be perfect for.........

Today's the last day and ends at noon, hopefully you might have some spare time to spend with it.

Thanks
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.
http://www.ps-engineering.com

Last edited:
Please excuse me as I run out the door...guess where I'm headed! :D

Cheers,
Bob

PS: Thanks for the clarifications Mark...that fail-safe feature on the radio is another excellent feature!!

PAR100EX pics

First, thanks to Mark for the invite to the AEA show, and the keys to Willy Wonka's Avionics Factory...I coulda spent a week there! :D

For the VAF gang, the PAR100EX is really a nice piece of gear, and Mark and Gary from PSE were great gentlemen, answering all of my general, and several my-airplane-specific questions, even after a week of conference kibutzing...nice guys!

Here are a few pics:

A wider shot showing the PMA8000/GMA340-sized case, the microair radio and a blackberry for relative size:
PAR100EX%202.jpg

The radio fit in my palm and outstreched fingers, and was amazingly light. That baby will tuck away nicely!

Here's a closer shot (comments below it):
PAR100EX%201.jpg

This pic shows the following items are in effect/active on the PAR100EX:
- The Microair remote radio is configured as COMM 1 (COMM1 label in center of window). To configure it as COMM 2 requires a change of jumper settings.
- COMM 1 is being listened to (upper C1 light on).
- The STBY freq in COMM 1 is also being monitored ("MON" showing above the STBY freq...this was done by pushing and holding the upper C1 button).
- COMM 2 (a "virtual" radio in the display) is on normal transceive more (both C2 lights on).
- A2 is also active.
- A bluetooth device is paired as well (BT showing on above the PRI freq).

So in this picture, 3 comm frequencies are being monitored (C1 PRI, C1 STBY, C2), one can be talked on (C2), and an aux input is being monitored (A2) while a BT device is also connected!

The mute button selects by what inputs the music will be muted (ICS and radio transmissions and receptions, radio only, or ICS only). Going to radio only puts you in Karaoke or sing-along mode...I think I have that right!

The ICS button selects between pilot isolate, crew isolate and normal (again, I think I have that right).

Sure looks like another great option to consider!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
I slid my garmin 240 out of the panel and slide the Par 100X in it's place. I have not yet had time to wire up the radio part but the intercom is very nice. Even my old SL40 which was my com 2 works with the audio panel. And so, no comment on the radio, but if it works as well as the intercom it will be a great unit.

Back