What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Props for an RV-3 w/O-290

dlomheim

Well Known Member
This may be technically a question for the "Propellor" forum, but it is really specific to a "3" so will post here and see if the moderators want to move it, etc. :) Anyways, my 3A came with a Sensenich 69 inch X 76 wood prop which works fine so far; but I think I want a little more pitch for better top end. At present it will fly at a WOT of 2730 rpm and the maximum continuous is listed at 2600 rpm; so my thought is to eventually get a little more pitch to pull me a bit faster and fully utilze WOT, etc.

Just wondering what some of you present or former users of the O-290 have done, etc.

Thx.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A

Think about giving Craig Catto a call Doug - he has a good track record of knowing what to build based on your requirements, and he makes beautiful props!

I use a Craig Catto 68x65 on my O-290-D2 powered RV-9A. 2275 RPM on take off and cruise is 150KTS at 2600 RPM.

O-290 D2?

That's interesting, My T-18's O-290 is rated at 2800 RPM.

Scott: Is yours a D2 with Hydraulic lifters by chance? My Lycoming book for the "D" shows 5 min. at 2800 rpm (130 hp) and max continous of 2600 rpm at 125 hp...

CYA

Doug

Doug;
My O-290G is solid tappet.
I just got a sweet deal on an VIO-360A1A, which is rated @ 2900 RPM continuous for helicopter service, it's hydraulic tappet equipped. I mentioned it in another thread.
Now you 'made me' go back and read the O-290 operating manual. I misremembered; TO power is 2800RPM for 5 minutes, 2600RPM continuous. My engine is experimental, and has lots of O-320 parts and O-290 aircraft cylinders, 7:1. I guess that makes it an O-290G configured to O-290D2 retaining a solid tappet cam. I have noticed 2900+ RPM on a shallow full throttle decent from 10,000ft. Not intentional, but no foul.
Bruce Finney, over on the Thorp forum has an O-290G. We both have old generation 2 blade wood props, 68"x68", his is a Great American, mine a Ted Hendricks. He recently reported 190 MPH @ 2000ft while turning 2800, I just get about 174MPH @ 4000Ft. WOT @ 2650 RPM. I must have more drag around the cowl, brakes and canopy. Sensenich must rate pitch differently to account for such greater pitch?
So I was wrong. For my own experimental engine, I consider 2800 OK because I feel the 5 minute restriction would be a heat issue for a slow aircraft in a steep climb. I run Cylinder head Temps in the 320 F range @ cruise, and oil temp around 160- 175 F. Plenty of cooling, and as Mahlon pointed out, the High RPM rated helicopter engines use the same cranks, pistons, cams etc as the aircraft engines.
O-320 engines are rated @ 2700RPM, and share the same stroke, my (X)O-290G(D2) has an O-320 crank in it. So these factors may effect my thinking.

Last edited:
Call Craig Catto, he will fix you up.

I had one of his 68"x64" props on my -9 when I had the O-290-D2. That is the prop he makes for O-235 powered RV-3's. We went with that pitch because we simply didn't know how the -9 would perform with a 135 HP (140 for takeoff) engine.

It turned out to be a great climb prop. I could do 1600 FPM at gross on a hot day but could only do 65% on the red line doing 140 Kts TAS.

As for a three bladed prop, Craig said he would cut me one but didn't think 140 HP was enough power to justify it.

Doug, come over or call me. I have a brand new 3-blade 68x74 Catto prop on my plane now. Fly over this Friday for our camp out/BBQ and we can talk about props all night. I can tell you Craig does great work on his props. I loved my old one and think I am going to love my new one even more!

I had a 68x64 2-blade wood Irlbeck on my 125 hp O-290 RV-3. A later owner wanted a prop with a little more pitch, but I liked that prop.

Back