What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proper Pop Rivet for -10 Elevator Frame

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - working on wrapping up the elevators and have a quick question.
I am at the part where Vans has you fold back the skin to use some AN470AD4-4 rivets to rivet the frame together.

Maybe I have fat hands or something, but I am struggling to find a way to get a good hold on a bucking bar in the small opening.

While building my 7A, I learned the hard way that I am better off using a pop rivet in situations where I can't get a good angle with the bucking bar and/or rivet gun.

Anyway, Vans has you use LP4-3 rivets to attach the elevator ribs the front spar. I am wondering if I can use these same rivets to attach the outboard rib to the spars, of if I need to order some Cherrymax Rivets.

Thanks,
Jason

I'm not sure which blind rivits would be sufficient, but I'm sure some exist. I used the rivits Vans called for and remember them well, as being a major pain to buck. It can be done, but you'll leave some skin inside.:)

There are other blind rivets that are stronger than LPS4-3s and are rated for more structural applications.

The option is, if you don't already have one, is to get a tungsten bucking bar. They are much smaller that a traditional bucking bar. That may assist you in getting into that area better.

I've got a Tungsten bucking bar, but still seem to be having trouble finding a way to get a good angle on the rivets without creasing the skin

Back