What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propellor Governor Troubles

Stan Bahrns

Has anyone had trouble with an MT prop governor ? I have a new prop & governor from Van's & have ran the engine about 10 minutes & am unable to cycle the prop. I have 85 psi engine oil pressure & there is oil to the governor but no oil with any pressure coming out of the governor. I removed it & the drive & gaskets all look to be ok & it seemed to pump oil when turned by hand. As soon as this weather gets better I am going to try bleeding the air from the line to the prop thinking it is air locked. Any ideas?
Thanks Stan

Stan

I had the same trouble with one of my engines. I doubt it will be fixed by bleeding air out of the line.

I bought a hydraulic pressure gauge and connected it to the governor output line. When I ran the engine, it read 180#.

Turned out the engine had a fixed pitch prop on it before I got it. I had to split the case to plug a front bearing pressure relief hole.

You didn't say what engine model you have. I assume you have checked the crank plug is installed at the back. (and doesn't have a hole in it)

Bryan Carr

Min 1800RPM

I bolt my new MT govenor onto my New IO-360 and did not bleed anything.

The prop cycled OK from the first start, but:
YOU DO NEED AROUND A MINIMUM OF 1800RPM FOR MT Governors to Cycle.

Pete.

1600 to 2000 RPM is required on most RVs to cycle prop. The typical cable of Vans only has 2" of travel and doesn't allow full travel on some of the Govenors due to arm length. Have flown several RVs with some requiring higher RPM than others to cycle, a prop shop has verified this reasoning. Larry

I am telling on myself

I had the same problem with a prop gov...however it was my fault...

We had taken the prop off and on a few times and with putting on a new engine I had to punch the center out of the crank.

So>>>>>>>WE LEFT THE RAG IN THE CRANK<<<<<<< and we found it after doing alot of trouble shooting...

You probably have not done this but just wanted to bring it up.

Bruce Ray
Savannah, Ga

Back