What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller Safety

RonRV8

There has recently been some serious accidents involving people walking into moving propellers. Shut down your engine before you let anyone get near your airplane. Be ready to pull the mixture when taxing if you see someone who does not show prop awareness and respect. During my years of flying, I have shut down as a precaution more than once.

On this subject.......

In an emergency, don't be afraid to shut down the engine with the ignition switch. It shuts down things quicker and won't hurt a thing.

Very dangerous

I once met a pilot who had a mishap with a prop. He tried to turn a prop without making sue it was dad first. It kicked and broke his index finger in multiple places (the finger was still there but now it was stiff) and the blade went 1/2 way through his leg, breaking it in the process. Thus he walked with a limp. That was lesson enough for me.

Cheers

Jim

Mel, It was suggested to me that if I was shutting down for less then 15 minutes with a planned restart to always use the key if the engine was injected. I have not tried this but wondered what your thoughts were. I was told the engine would restart quickly without prime by doing so.

George

I have not heard this, but there's no harm in trying. Every engine starts a little differently. Give it a try and see.
For example, my engine needs 2 shots of prime first start of the day regardless of the temp. After that first start, I don't touch anything but the mag switches and starter button and it kicks right off.
Everyone needs to know how best to start "his/her" engine.
It irritates me to no end to see someone who has owned a particular airplane for many years and still doesn't know how best to start it.

Mel, It was suggested to me that if I was shutting down for less then 15 minutes with a planned restart to always use the key if the engine was injected. I have not tried this but wondered what your thoughts were. I was told the engine would restart quickly without prime by doing so.

George

From my experience with injected engines, most (if not all)tend to flood during a quick turn/hot re-start. Using the mixture for cut-off will help minimize this tendency to some degree. If you use the ignition to cut it off there will be even more fuel dumped in the cylinders worsening the situation.

It irritates me to no end to see someone who has owned a particular airplane for many years and still doesn't know how best to start it.

The corollary to this is when someone who has perfected the operation of their own engine over many years is SURE that their solution applies to everyone else's engine.... ;)

I agree with Mel - learn what works for each engine you fly - they all have distinct personalities (like recalcitrant children).

Back