What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller Bolts

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello everyone

Today I tried to install my new Catto 3 bladded Carbon Fiber prop and when came the time to install the new spinner ( 12'' ) it simply wouldn't fit ( Cut by Craig when I purchased the prop )

As per Nicol's suggestion I installed the new 5/8'' crush plate but when doing this it became impossible to fit the spinner..the holes just didn't align...

So I use the old crush plate ( 3/8'' ) and the spinner fitted perfectly but now the problem is that the prop bolts are too long ( Standard 6'' 3/8 bolts from Vans) so it brings me to my question...

Is there a place where I could get a new set of bolts ( about 5 1/2'' ) ?? I think that Vans sells only the 6', the ones I bought before..

I will appreciate your feedback's

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

P.S: I thought about cutting them but I would rather not just to prevent any potential imbalance even if so minimal..

You can buy them from Saber. They sell them with the prop extensions but you can buy them by individually.

Do you mean the screw holes for the spinner don't align?

Catto cut my spinner for me and, he marked a #1 on the spinner and bulkheads to index it correctly. Once I indexed the front and rear spinner bulkheads to the #1, I loose fit everything and it fit great. I torqued everything down, safteywired the bolts and attempted to fit the spinner. The holes didn't line up at all.

I found I had to loosen the bolts, twist the aft spinner bulkhead counterclockwise and twist the front spinner bulkhead clockwise. There was just enough play in the bulkheads while loose to cause the holes to misalign. I marked them in sharpie to remind myself which way to turn them.
C3B260D2-12DF-4566-B283-37353C859BAD_zpshrawnlch.jpg

Prop Bolts

Thank you guys for the info, much appreciated.

Axel: I will look at the Saber web site and see if they have what I need if required.

Andy: Craig also cut my spinner and the one before. I noticed that you installed your front plate with the crush plate on top of it like mine was with my previous Catto but if I do this with mine , the front plate contacts the prop and cause damages to the blades( it did with my previous prop. )Nicol actually left a note on the front plate to install the front plate on top of the crush plate.it looks better but this prevent the spinner cone to move back far enough to install the screws holding it in place..
I'll try it again your way after I fix the front plate so it doesn't touch the prop's blades and see if it works..

Thanks again guys

Bruno

Back