What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop spinner

cjhukill

I'm trying to determine the optimum cutout dimensions for the blades on the 2 bladed Hartzell blended airfoil prop as Vans sells, using the standard spinner kit. The instructions tell you to rotate the blades thru full travel to check for clearance, however I don't have an engine to mount the prop to yet, and it's not possible to move the blades without one. I am trying to get as tight of fit as is possible. I have looked at production airplane's installations, and they have a much larger clearance than I would consider aesthetic. Has anyone made a template or drawings that would provide the dimensions that I need?

Use two helpers to turn the blades in opposite directions while you mark the tight spots with a sharpie. Sand a little. Repeat. My wife and I did ours, but a third person would be handy. If you need more leverage then use wood workers clamps with some cushioning material protecting prop.

A note on clearances. Prop blade to spinner on mine is 3/32", which is fine. My spinner to cowl clearance is 1/8", which is too tight. I'd recommend 1/4".

Back