What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop spinner to cowling fit

Dave12

Well Known Member
I was wondering if any others have had problems with the spinner to cowl clearance? The cowling was trimmed to the scribe line and fitted as per the instructions. Now that the spinner is on, the top cowl will interfere with the back of the spinner and backing plate. It appears that more f/g will have to be trimmed at the top where it meets the upper fuse. Hinges will have to be relocated, etc. How much clearance is typical between the spinner and the cowling? It appears that approx. 3/8 inch will have to be trimmed. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Link to spinner clearance threads

There is no reason to fit the cowlings before the engine is mounted. The early builders suffered and posted their trials, tribulations and fixes. The plans should be changed to indicate waiting.

This causes so much grief one of these threads could be made a sticky.

Tony

Last edited:
A quick search on "spinner clearance" turns up these threads:

There is no reason to fit the cowlings before the engine is mounted. The early builders suffered and posted their trials, tribulations and fixes. The plans should be changed to indicate waiting.

This causes so much grief one of these threads could be made a sticky.

Tony

Just providing another data point....
Only some builders seem to have this problem.
The Teen Flight RV-12, built by 12 teenagers, followed the construction manual explicitly, and the cowl is centered nearly perfectly on the spinner back plate, with the expected nominal 1/8" gap between the spinner and the front face of the cowling.

I can not explain why some builders encounter this problem (but I have a guess).

I do know that dimension changes in the plans were made so that the screw holes get located as far fwd on the spinner back plate flange as possible. This makes it possible to trim up to 1/8" off of the back of the spinner to increase clearance if needed.

Back