What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop question

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Going with a two blade prop. Choices are the Hartzell blended aluminum or the Whirlwind composite. Anyone with input on either props.
Thanks...

I'm a big fan of the Hartzell BA prop. That said, Whirl Wind has it's loyal following as well.

You might want to do a point by point comparison:
- price
- overhaul time
- maintenance issues
- performance

While the WW wins on weight, my reading of prop performace testing has the WW as perhaps as good as the Hartzell, but not better. For me, the WW higher price, short time for tear down and previous cracking issues make the Harzell the winner.

Carl

Everyone likes what they bought.
Take a careful look at cg. Many -10's, when loaded near gross, can exceed aft cg unless you pack baggage between the front seats. Then they wish they had a heavier prop up front.

Going with a two blade prop.
Thanks...

Wise choice. The additional problems of removing the cowl with a 3-blade aren't worth it IMHO. Hartzell would be my choice if I were buying due to the longevity of the name.

regards

~Marc

Whirlwind makes an absolutely beautiful blade, but the TBO is much lower, although I hear their service is great. Just the fact that most prop shops can deal with a Hartzell if here are issues is almost enough to choose Haetzell, but the lower cost and aluminum blades are pluses as well.

Props

I have had MT props on my RV-10's and my RV-7A and for all of the noise about 3 blades being slower, I haven't seen that. My RV-10 trues out at 170 Knots and is really smooth. Yes, the lower cowl is a little harder to get on and off, but a slot cut and then filled with a spacer makes it easier.
That being said, in my humble opinion,you can't go wrong with any of the 3 major constant speed manufacturer's (MT, Hartzell, Whirlwind). Each of them has their own strengths.

I just recently was able to compare brand new MT 3 blade to the Whirlwind 2 blade RV10 prop on my RV10, with testing done all the way to 18K'. While it's almost a rounding error, I did find the Whirlwind to be about 2-3 knots faster at all altitudes, and perhaps 100 fpm better rate of climb. It is a really nice prop! However, it did have some kind of harmonic that really vibrated the airframe and controls. I dynamic balanced each prop down to .02 IPS prior to flight testing, and I did all flight tests on the same day. It was a really long day, with about 6 hours of flying on top of removing and installing props.

I really had hoped the Whirlwind worked out, as it is a very pretty propeller, with much larger leading edge protection, and it looks nice. And I thought I was being too picky until I put the MT back on. Much, much smoother. And I thought it was really wonderful of Whirlwind to let me perform some flight testing. Nice group of people! And to be fair I was testing a 3 blade MT against the 2 blade Whirlwind.

And I hear you on the time before overhaul, although the Whirwind is MUCH cheaper to overhaul, basically in the hundreds of dollars, vs. the MT which was over $5K to overhaul at 6 years and they screwed it up.

Yes, I called the FSDO and put it back into phase I. Now my RV-10 has data, W&B, and logbook entries for MT and Whirlwind props.

Vic

Didnt see anything for a -10 on The Catto WEB page. Also just gonna keep it to two blades. Vic, interesting results and I appreciate the work you must have gone through. Question, have you flown any 10's with a two blade Hartzell for a comparison to the Whirlwind. Both have 5 year, 600 hours or so before their service recommendation. I know a overhaul on a Hartzell would run 2-3 thousand. I like that both companies are in the U.S., I do have a concern about that vibration you felt.

Hartzel vs. Whirlwind

No, I haven't done any testing on my airplane comparing these two. I have flown a lot of RV10's with the Hartzell BA and it prerforms really well, albeit not at smooth as a 3 blade. Again, each has their advantages and disadvantages at overhaul times. I would really love to test the Hrtzell 3 blade, as it looks really sharp and Rob Hickman at AFS really likes it as well. But it is priced WAY up there and above my pocket book.

Vic

Back