What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop pitch advice

sdixon

I'm New Here
I have the total installed and was wondering if anyone has had experience in setting the pitch in the propeller. I don't seem to be able to maintain 5200 RPM and the engine seems little underpowered at high-altitudes. The pitch is currently set the full maximum and I want to back it off. How much is too much...........

Just a few points

What does this mean, "I have the total installed"? :confused:Any ways adjust your prop to achieve 5000 RPM on the ground at your airport during WOT static runup. WOT means Wide open throttle. That will be a good staring point. Then you may have to fine tune from that point. By the way you didn't say what you field elevation was? Good luck!

Once you get your static RPM set, you will want to fine tune to get 5500 to 5600 RPM in level flight with WOT at the altitude you will normally be flying.

And Steve - -

A digital level on a prop fixture of sorts, helps get it very equal in setup after the above is done. Balancing after this then get things "right" !

John Bender

At the top of the page showing this post, click on the "RV-12" part of this element:
VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Then on the right near the top, click on "Search this forum."
In the pop-down, type in prop pitch then select GO

Read through the results for highly experienced and detailed help, including pictures, for your answer! Seriously, the detailed info is all there, built up over much time and experience, much more comprehensive than how people could possibly provide by replying to a new post asking about the same topic.

Steve, the best advice I can give you is to fabricate the jig in Jetguy's post (made by Tony T.) and get a digital protractor. Take good notes on your prop rpm and blade angles. Some guys are using 5000 static and some as low as 4900. I have tried them both and settled for 4950. You don't want to lug the Rotax with low rpm to get more speed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-angle-gauge-95998.html

The protractor listed above has also worked very well.

Back