What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Options

ShannonEvans

I made a bad landing with my RV-3 & broke my Pacesetter wood prop :eek:. I am now putting things back together & need to decide on a new prop. What are your thoughts on Aluminum fixed pitch vs a Catto fixed pitch. Would like to know thoughts on pro/con of each. Have 150hp O-320 engine.

Shannon Evans

Check the RPM limitations on aluminum fixed pitch. 2600 comes to mind for Sensenich. If you've got a 4" extension, I would worry about putting anything heavier than wood or composite on that.

I went from a Pacesetter 68x69 to a Catto 66x70 3-blade about 80 hours ago. Picked up ~10mph on the top end, and ~250fpm climb. 4lb weight increase. Max RPM at 8000' is now 2840. I asked for the extra RPM, so it's basically more of a climb prop than cruise (love that 2500fpm climb at sea-level on a cool day!) I heard Catto has a metal leading edge now, but I've got the old tape LE. Took him six weeks from my order to delivery, and I had a very good experience (I hear it can take longer than that). Three-blade is not necessary for any performance improvement ... but it sure does look cool.

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours
(45min more last Tuesday!)

I went from Sensenich wood to Catto 3-blade in 2003.
Shortened take-off roll by 17%, increased climb 15%, cruise stayed the same.
I asked for somewhat of a "climb" prop because of my short runway. Craig is really good at giving you just what you want.

Just on the subject of props but off toppic of this post a little. I have seen photos of RV's in the USA with polished props - they look great. Are these just a buffed aluminium or have they actually been chrome plated on the blades ???

prop options -

Polished. I think chrome-plate on something as big and highly stressed as a propeller would be asking for trouble, IMHO

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours
(+1 more last Sunday!)

Prop spelling? C.A.T.T.O.

I made a bad landing with my RV-3 & broke my Pacesetter wood prop :eek:. I am now putting things back together & need to decide on a new prop. What are your thoughts on Aluminum fixed pitch vs a Catto fixed pitch. Would like to know thoughts on pro/con of each. Have 150hp O-320 engine.

Shannon Evans

Shannon,

After testing nine different FP props on my RV4 and RVX over the years Craig Catto still makes the best looking and performing yet. I recommend the 2 blade with Nickel leading edge, worth every penny and you will notice a performance gain.

V/R
Smokey
www.cattoprops.com

Smokey,

Somewhat related question: Did you see any drop in CHTs when you switched to the Catto prop?

That's cool!

Smokey,

Somewhat related question: Did you see any drop in CHTs when you switched to the Catto prop?

Doug, As a matter of fact, yes! The Catto cools better in the climb than the MT FP, significantly.

V/R
Smokey

Back