What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop governor travel

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I just installed the all of the quadrant cables and have a question. For the Throttle and Mixture cable, I get full travel on the quadrant which corresponds to full travel on the fuel servo. With the prop governor, I only see about half travel on the quadrant for full travel on the Hartzell governor. The only way I can see to change this is to replace the Hartzell actuator arm with a longer length. I really don't want to mod the quadrant arm shorter as the force is already right at the acceptable range.
Both the engine and prop/gov. were purchased through Vans

Bill, I don't see any need for full quadrant motion on the prop lever. As long as it hits full up top with a little cushion and pulls the arm back fully its good. Just try to rig all three evenly at the top with a little bounce cushion. Vans quadrant arms should actually be drilled a little further from the pivot though as there is barely enough sweep in the quadrant to make travel at both ends.

I did notice that it required a lot of adjusting to get the full throw on the throttle and mixture. That's a good idea to drill just a little outward of the current hole.

Bill,

If you're hitting the stops, it's good to go. We've got an F1 we routed low... under the cylinders and came up thru the lower ramp to a fabricated holder bracket. Worked out good, same thing, about half lever travel from stop to stop. :)

Check RPMs carefully.

Bill, a -10 I recently flew, overspeeded because the governor wasn't set up correctly. Increase the RPM's carefully and stop advancing power if she runs over 2700
, before first flight. Carefully increase power to full thottle, watching for any overspeed and re-set the high RPM stop as necessary.

Best,

Follow up on solutions

I spoke with the Hartzell tech rep at OSH. He provided me with a different part P/N 103568, which I ordered and have installed. It has multiple locations to attach the prop control actuator cable. Below is a photo of the installation. I now have full travel and it is easier to move the quadrant lever due to the additional leverage.
IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

Back