What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

prop governor steel line versus hose

rvator51

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the correct length to replace a steel prop governor line with the new Teflon hose for a Lycoming O-360-A1A?

The Lycoming SI 1435 shows 4 lengths:

LW-12799-6S-360 36"
LW-12799-6S-380 38"
LW-12799-6S-400 40"
LW-12799-6S-420 42"

I had Tom (TSflightlines) make me a 36" and it was a tad to long but worked.

Just curious why you would replace an existing steel line with a flex line?

I had a flex line, and when I put a new light-weight C/S prop on the plane, the new prop had a small surge. (The old heavier metal prop never surged.)

Got some (bad) advice that the flex line might be causing the issue, at great expense of time, effort and $$$$, I replaced the flex line with a SS line.

No change to the surge issue.

The fix was a new prop governor.

I need to add the line to my engine and the flexible line is approx $120 versus $300 for the steel line from what I can find.

I think mine was 40" but I am not sure. I went over the engine instead of the traditional path and it is working great!

I need to add the line to my engine and the flexible line is approx $120 versus $300 for the steel line from what I can find.

If you can't find one used for $50 bucks, then they are easy to make from about $20 worth of tube and fittings from Spruce.

Back