What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Governor R&R - who signs off?

Flying again!

Well Known Member
Ok, so during my current toil change I replaced leaking seals/O-rings in 4 pushrod shrouds. When I ran the engine after I saw an oil leak from my Hartzell governor. After cleaning and verifying it was leaking from the gasket that splits the governor body I sent it to Quality Aircraft Accesories in Tulsa (great service, sent UPS ground on a Friday, they called the following Monday to tell me what they found, and on it was my porch on Tuesday when I got home from work!). I choose to exchange for a rebuilt one due to all the issues they found with my governor.

I installed it and ops checked it on the ground. Waiting for good weather to test it in flight and adjust the rpm stop as needed. I am having a local A&P check it and sign it off in the log book. The question is, who has to sign off the entry in the log book on an experimental. I am not the builder so do not have the repairmans certificate. Could I have signed off on the work?

Thanks, still learning!

Yes. On an E-AB you may do all the maintenance. You need an A&P (no IA needed) or the repairman's certificate to do the annual condition inspection.

...The question is, who has to sign off the entry in the log book on an experimental. I am not the builder so do not have the repairmans certificate. Could I have signed off on the work?

Thanks, still learning!

Unless it is specifically prohibited by the operating limitations (and I have never seen such a provision), any person or creature can repair, maintain, or modify the airframe or engine of an experimental, amateur-built aircraft. Major modifications and (I think) rmajor repairs must be reviewed by the FAA, who might put you back into Phase I testing, but anybody can do them and sign them off. Anybody.

The only utility of the repairbeing certificate is that it confers the privilege of signing off the annual condition inspection and asserting that that the aircraft is of a condition for safe operation (not "airworthy," just safe). That's it.

Thanks, Bob K.

Back