What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Governor Problem...Help!

gipsowh

Any ideas on this one? It does not allow me to gradually feed in control. It's all or nothing. The 3 blade Hartzell prop goes from the base fine pitch to full coarse once the governor starts kicking in. It's an older model Woodward governor. We've dialed in and out the adjustment screw with no help. We've been through it without seeing anything obviously wrong. Has anyone experienced this same problem, and if so, what did you do about it? Is it worth sending off and refurbishing? I'm at the end of my rope and I'm fixin' to order a new one. Which prop governor is recommended? I'm thinking about the PCU 5000X. Ouch!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
governor

Bill,
I can't help with your governor problem but I'm dying to know how the engine and psru is working? Is it still great? Thanks!

Linkage?

It's all or nothing. The 3 blade Hartzell prop goes from the base fine pitch to full coarse once the governor starts kicking in.

Is the linkage backward? When the control is forward is the governor really in the high RPM (fine pitch) position?

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

We go both ways

John, we've had the the linkage hooked up both ways, no joy. Same thing. The governor just doesn't "throttle". Its either full on or full off no matter if I stroke the controls full open/full closed or try to "sneak up" on it. My untrained eye just can't tell if there is a problem with the internals. It acts like there is not enough internal bypass area opening and too high a pressure is maintained to the prop, thus the full coarse pitch. I don't know, but I would have thought the throttling action comes from ports being covered/uncovered partially controlled by the adjusting spring and counterweights, thus controlling the pressure to the prop. I suppose the governor plunger wears over time and the port sealing becomes ineffective, thus the throttling action is diminished to the point of no throttle action. Maybe someone can straighten out my pea brain and give me a clue as how to proceed before I fork over $$ for a new one.

Bill
If that gov. was used on an aircraft that had a McCauley prop as I remember they are set up different for a Hartzell. It was a long time ago that I changed props on a 180 Cessna that I took off a Hartzell and replaced with a McCauley and as I remember we had to change a plug on the Woodward gov. so that it would work.
Not very specific info but something for you to look into.

Bill

make sure you

have the correct gasket. There are two oil ports and one needs to be closed off (by the gasket) for it to work correctly. Sorry, can't speak with authority if an incorrect gasket will indicate as you discribe. Just something simple and cheap to check. Pleasse let me know, good luck.
Andrew

Surrender

I gave up on fixing the governor problem. Thanks for all of the suggestions. We've done everything we can think of. I think the woodward governors we are trying to make work are just worn out. I talked to a repair facility and decided it wasn't worth trying to fix. After I was told that a one internal part (a ball bearing) was $675... the decision to buy a new governor was easy. This is the second time I've been burned on used governors. "It was working when we took it off" line will not work anymore. :rolleyes:

I ordered a new PCU 5000X and requested that it be overnighted. Guess what? When I called to find out where it was after it didn't show, the guy says, "Oh we made a mistake and shipped it snail mail.":mad:

So I'm grounded until after the holiday weekend and the weather here in Houston is actually somewhat cool and is beautiful for flying. So much for completing my phase I program this weekend. GRRR!!

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend. Sometime during the weekend please take a moment and reflect on the sacrifices made by our service men and women in the past in order that we may enjoy the freedoms we have today. Then share your thoughts with someone of a different generation.

Back