What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Engine Combination

WheatRidgeRV

I'm New Here
I am ready to get serious about an engine and just got back from Oshkosh, Lots of ideas. Would like feed back on what others have done and thoughts on what I'm thinking. I'm leaning toward Amercitech's recommendation of an IO-320 with dual E-Mags and Whirwind Prop.

Does anybody have any experience with any of the above?

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, Wheatridge!

I don't have any advice on your specific combination. It would probably help if you indicated what model you are building. I am closing in on finishing a 9A with a Superior IO-360, which is larger than Van's recommends in the 9s. However, I learned to fly at LXV (motto "we know about density altitude") and currently live in Reno at 5000 ft. My rationale for the larger engine was that it is only slightly heavier than the 320 (I think about 10 lbs), will give the same mileage performance when throttled back, but has the advantage of the extra horsepower should it be needed. I also went with a Sensenich FP prop for simplicity as well as weight savings (kind of helps offset the difference in engine weight).

There are lots of options out there, and if you read through the archives, you will at least have some food for thought as to what people have done and how it has worked.

greg

Engine Prop combination RV9A

Greg

I as well am building an RV9A and live in the Denver area and understand the consequences of flying at 5,000 feet plus density altitudes. I have also thought about going with the IO-360 too but keep hearing the 320 max. It appears you may not have flown your plane yet? I would be interested in your results. What ignition system are you going with?

It sounds like you may also be working on your canopy. I'm am still trying to get the slider canopy bent to my liking with much frustration. After looking at several examples at Oshkosh I have a better understanding of what I need to do. It appears the closer you have the frame the better the fit. Also based on what I saw there I will probably will make the rear skirt out of fiberglass and add a fiberglass pocket at the front edge of the slider. I am curious what your plan is.

Working on instrument panel, canopy and looking for engine.

JimS

I owned a -9A with a 220HP 0-360 from Lycon . A very sweet plane to fly. Great performance and low fuel burn for the speed. 75% cruise was 200+mph, 10-11 GPH, economy cruise 8.5 GPH 180 MPH. Climb at 1,500' MSL was 2,500+ on take off. I could throttle it back and burn 5-6 GPH just loaf along. Take offs were usually 1/2 - 3/4 throttle.

What was really impressive was the climb rate at altitude if you needed to get over weather / mountains, 1,500' FPM at 10,000'.

The additional weight on the nose wheel is a minor concern, so I would limit your landings to paved if possible. I flew off grass all the time however. The RV nose gear is just a kickstand to keep the prop off the ground....no bouncing!

Good luck!

Last edited:
An RV9 (A) with a 0-320 & C/S prop can get out of 4000-7000' msl airports with 450 lbs of pilot and passengers, and full fuel, with no problem. Even in the middle of the hot summer. Although the climb rate might not be as great as during the fall/winter, as you need to keep an eye on engine temperatures. I have no experience with a fixed prop for a 9, and haven't been to Leadville Colorado.

L.Adamson

I...Does anybody have any experience with any of the above?

Jim,

Sorry no experiance with that combination and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but...

One friend did the math and found an IO-360 (180 HP) with a wood prop (Catto) come in at a little less weight than an O-320 w/ a CS prop. So clearly the issue isn't the weight.

However, living in the SE where hot starts are a challange in the summer, carbuerators make starting so much easier.

Even an O-320 with a fixed pitch prop will climb better than a 172 or most spam cans.

The question is, what is acceptable performance for you?

The P-mags you want to install may mitegate the hot start issues associated with injected engines. Maybe somone on the forum will comment on that.

As for engine size, I have 135 HP in my -9 and at gross it will still climb at 700+ FPM at 10,000' DA.

Just remember to build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build. Otherwise you will never be happy with it.

Jim,

I agree with the other posts - build what you want, not what someone tells you to build. I am not yet flying but hope to be doing so this fall. In answer to your questions, I chose a Superior 360 because I could build it myself (under supervision of the folks at Eagle Engines in Redding, CA). Given that there is basically little or no weight penalty, the cost was essentially the same as the 320, and there is no difference in fuel consumption at the same speeds, it was a simple choice for me. I ended up going with two mags, partly to save costs (does anyone really save costs on an airplane??) and partly because it is a known technology. I may end up changing to electronics down the road, but that is another entire thread.

Mine is a tipup, so I can't help you there.

cheers,
greg

Back