What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Cable Replacement....

megerj

Standard CT 83F throttle quadrant on a RV-8. After the initial trouble shooting of a 'ratchet' type feel...I need to pull and replace the cable.

I'm not the builder - it is proving to be a PITA...any one else have some TTPs (Tactics Techniques Procedures) to replace a prop cable??

Thanks

I recently had to do that on my RV-7, but that's a different device than yours, I believe. One lesson I'd share it to take several pictures of the cable's attachment to the governor, path under the avionics, mounting, etc... It's endlessly irritating to relearn how hard it can be to reassemble something that seemed so simply put together.
In my case, I also looked up the original part number (I'm the builder) in my 16 year old pile of documents, and ordered the replacement from Van's to avoid any unhelpful differences in length, attachment, etc... I assume you probably don't have that kind of paperwork.
So, see if there are any stickers or markings on the cable to help you get the right part. If not, remove it, measure every detail, and call Van's with that info. Make a note of where exactly the cable went into the firewall's eyeball fitting too.
Good luck,
David

You can go to Van's for a replacement cable, or there are several available from other sources that are made specifically for aircraft. I think I ordered mine from Aircraft Spruce.

Ironically, the cables Van's sold years ago had a sticker that said "NOT FOR AIRCRAFT USE". Not sure if that's still the case, or maybe that was just wording lawyers had them add to minimize exposure to potential lawsuits.

One step ata atome..

I’ve done this a couple times over the 17 years I’ve been flying my 8.
Like others have said, take some pictures of how it’s routed from firewall up to governor, how the end attaches to the governor arm, bolt direction, washer placement, count threads showing…all that kind of stuff.
I then took that end off the governor and disassembled everything off the cable.
Undo all the adel clamps holding the cable housing and get it all the way oit where it’s basically pointing straight forward from the firewall. Disassemble firewall pass throughs.
In the cockpit on mine, I can see the jam nuts that lock the ends of the cables to the throttle, prop and mixture arms. I loosen the jam nut on the prop cable. Note the number of threads showing from the smooth part of the cable to the fork that goes over the are where the clevis pin goes through.
You can now use a drill attached to the inside, sliding part of the cable on the outside, and slowly unscrew the cable from the fork on the prop control arm. Just enough to get it apart from the fork.
For me, now comes the tedious part. (Where all the cussing happens) The two large nuts that lock the cable housing to the quadrant must now be removed. Tight but doable with your trusty self made, ground down, short mutilated ‘throttle cable wrench”. Here again, if you can, take pictures or count threads showing how many threads. . This should get you close when reinstalling the cable for adjustment. You then have to unscrew the lock nut closest to the quadrant. The nut will be captured because it’s over the still cable. Once you get the inside locknut loose, the forward one can be rotated usually by hand. Close quarters, but for me still easier than undoing the entire quadrant. Also for ease of installion when going back together, attach a string or safety wire to the end of the cable where it screwed into the fork to be used as a fish for pulling the new cable back inside the cockpit.
You’ll have to use all 3 hands and some salty language to unscrew the second locknut, slowly push the cable housing, feed the fish wire and holler at your helper outside who is very gently pulling on the cable housing to wiggle it out without pulling the fish wire off…… The wire will hold the jam nuts where they are needed when you do all this in reverse to put it all back together.
Reassemble in reverse, put bandaids on knuckles, pop a top and call it a day.
I’m sure there are other techniques, but this has worked for me.

Back