What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Progressive Conditional Inspection Info

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the rules for Experimental Home Built are the same as for certified aircraft concerning progressive conditional inspections? Do I have to file a plan with The FAA for approval? For me, it would be much easier to do our inspections over the course of the year rather than down the plane for a week or two at the end.

Ooooh. Now they KNOW you are doing a progressive. :eek:

Sent from my NSA monitored device.

Does anyone know if the rules for Experimental Home Built are the same as for certified aircraft concerning progressive conditional inspections? Do I have to file a plan with The FAA for approval? For me, it would be much easier to do our inspections over the course of the year rather than down the plane for a week or two at the end.

You will NOT in any way/shape/form get an approval for a progressive inspection on an experimental (but I would love to see the look on the guys face when you ask him)!

The requirement is one inspection and one signature per year. Most people take a weekend and do the whole airplane at once. Some take a week, and others drag it out for a month.... I'm certain plenty of people fool with their airplane often enough that it has morphed into a form of ongoing, progressive inspection and there are eyes on every part of the airplane at least once a year.

As long as the logbook entry is there and no part of the airplane has been unseen for more than 12 months, I think the moral and legal requirement has been met.

Last edited:
Modified Progressive

Traditional Progressive Inspection schedules involve on going maintenance throughout the year based on several factors. If this is what you are meaning, I don't think the FAA would buy into that.

However, I used the entire month of the month due to do my Conditional inspection. Kind of a progressive. I conducted it in phases so I would not have my plane out of service. So, I would take a couple of days and do the tail group. Next might be the wings or the FWF stuff. I generally save the internal work till last because it was the most cumbersome. At the end of the month when the Conditional checklist was complete, I made the necessary logbook entries.

I know several that do the same thing. Works great and spreads the process over a few weeks.

I am with Darwin and Sam.

Week one: wings and landing gear
Week two: Tail boom and tail feathers
Week three: FWF
Week four: the dreaded 10,000 screws and the seat pans/controls/everything else.

Each one is no more than a day by themselves.
Maybe, you will just get lucky and it is time to change the oil, time for FWF.

Back