What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

progress decision

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I need a little direction. I'm at one of those money-spending points, but could go one of two ways: FW forward or panel. I think I should go FW forward, but want some opinions.

Basically, canopy is wrapping up, fuse is ready for FW forward installation or I could start wiring/equipping the panel. I think I need to go FW forward first, which means building the engine, which is OK. I don't have the $$ to do both right now, one is winter, the other late spring, and either one looks like plenty hours of fun/work.

When I'm stalled, I'll work interior, basic DC wiring.

Thoughts?

Rick 90432 canopy

I would do firewall fwd. My thought is the plane won't fly without doing that but if finances get tight for whatever reason you could always go with a lesser panel and still be flying and enjoying the plane. Being poor most of my life seems to sway my opinions that direction.

I agree, do the FF. By the time you get it done there will be all kinds of new and better, latest & greatest to choose from.

FWF

I would do FWF first and plan the panel. Prices are improving on EFIS' and engine monitors (and combo units) and who knows what next year will bring. Also, it may take you longer than you think to finish before panel time.

In the meantime, you can do a majority of wiring from terminal blocks to everything else that you would have to connect panel when time to install.

Agreed - FWF first. You'll have instrumentation and wiring coming through the firewall after you hang the engine, and that needs to go to the panel anyway. Prices on equipment continue to drop as new gadgets are released - buy your avionics at the last minute for maximum savings and options.

FWF First

It looks like the FWF first is the advice. I am in the same boat. Just wrapping up the canopy, and ready to move on. My plan will be to put the gear legs on, then move to FWF.

Last edited:
A different opinion - panel first

There's an awful lot you can do on the "panel" without buying the avionics. There is a lot of wiring that can be done that is not directly avionics related. Once you hang the engine it's a lot harder to get to the cockpit side of the firewall and you have to walk around the engine.

Yes, everything gets cheaper and better the longer you wait but you can still come up with the basic design and lay the foundation to install the instruments and avionics when you get them.

Of course everyone has there own opinion on going with the latest and greatest new gizmo but after 25 years in the computer industry, I'm not a fan of being bleeding edge with new products.

To all, THANKS!

I see pretty much unanimous to go forward with FWF. Rick, your comment about non-avionic wiring is a good one - my plan was to do that as my 'B' project when stuck. I figure all the DC wiring for lights, etc can be done and left hanging(and marked).

I figure I won't mount gear until the engine is built. That seems like it's not a big task anyway - I already have my Grove brakes and wheels. I also want to mount the steps.

Thanks again,

Rick

Back