What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems with part packaging ?

H_Pham

I'm just reading the forum to gain knowledge for when I'm ready to build. Are the problems with part packaging (missing parts, wrong parts, wrong recipient....) due to the -12 being a new kit, or they're typical with any kits and/or vendors?

Early builders

For those of us that are the early builders of the 12, yes there have been some problems. They seem to get correctd fairly well, and without great waiting. I'd say by now, if you start on the first kits, you will find they will pretty good. We are finding the problems, and they are being corrected. If you are missing or BO on an item, you can usually find plenty to do until the part gets there a few days later.

John Bender

I am one of the "later" builders. My wing and tail kits arrived in December. There were no problems with parts. Only one item total was back ordered, and it arrived before I pulled my first rivet. The only issue with parts, and it is minor, is I wish they put each size of washer, bolt etc. in seperate bags. Now that I have some experience it isn't a problem. For a complete beginner to aircraft construction it is a bit confusing.

I knew I was not going to be ready for the finish kit for a while so I didn't rush to order it. Seeing the issues posted here I am glad I held off a bit. I did ask for my plans to be shipped now so I could study them. I got a very nice call from Van's suggesting I wait. I was told that there are more revisions on the way. They will put together plans that are current as of the date the kit ships.

Don't worry

We've seen quite a few references to such problems, including mine, however I wouldn't let it be too much of a concern. I consider that the number of problems mentioned vs. the number of kits and parts involved mean that Van's is batting around 99.9%, not to bad especially considering that meanwhile the RV-12 is still in final development.

The alternative I suppose would be for Van to hold up kit availability and we'd all have to wait longer, or he could add more quality control staff and raise prices. That would be too much pain to bear for that last .1% of perfection.

Based on my experience with 1-1/2 kits, they'll take good care of any problems you may have.

Have fun building when the time comes!

Dave.

My kits came through in pretty good shape. One crate had a forklift wound, but the excellant packing job saved the Tail Cone skins from damage by taping the skins to the cardboard on the bottomof the crate. Had one backordered item and one missing nylon washer. I was disappointed that the Wing Nose Ribs were not vinyl coated and as such were heavily scratched. I've been able to save them by buffing and priming the damaged areas. If this had not been an isolated case, I would have returned them. I'm quite pleased with the kits so far.

Art Pennanen

Back