What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with Avery's three flute debur bit

Brantel

Well Known Member
I just replaced my original two fluted debur bit that has served me well but is just plain dull!

I got the Avery three fluted one as a replacement.

This thing seems to leave chatter marks around the hole no matter what technique I use to turn it. Hard, Fast, Slow, Light, in electric screwdriver, by hand with hand tool etc.

Anyone else use this bit and not have these problems? My original two flute did not exibit this problem.

I had the same problem with a 3 flute----dont remember if it was Avery or someone elses-------I switched to a single hole type, no more problems.

I had the same problem, especially with softer alloys. Single flute did much better but I haven't seen one in the catalogs for quite awhile.

I still use the 3 flute at times. I use very light pressure and turn it for no more than one turn, actually trying for less than one turn and it works OK.

ATS...

I had the same problem, especially with softer alloys. Single flute did much better but I haven't seen one in the catalogs for quite awhile.....

ATS still seems to have them....

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=4100-30

4100-X.jpg

gil A

Brian,

I have both the 3-flute Avery bit, and the single-flute Cleveland bit. I use the Cleveland bit almost exclusively because it doesn't chatter.

I had the same problem

My three flute debur bit would chatter. I purposely dulled two of the flutes about three years ago and have been using the same bit ever since:D
Works great now.

Mark

I had the same problem, especially with softer alloys. Single flute did much better but I haven't seen one in the catalogs for quite awhile.

IIRC, I got mine from Cleveland.

The one I have is mounted to a 1/4" hex shank, fits right into my el cheapo, low speed, cordless screwdriver.

Avery's is #1

Bob from Avery's has been very helpfull trying to help me on this issue. He has sent me another one to try but it does the same.

He has recommended that I take a stone to the edge and slightly break it and give that a try. I will try this and see how it works.

The guys at Avery's are the best in the business! Super nice folks!

Same issue, same exact tool...how do I fix the part?

I am a new builder and this forum is absolutely amazing. I was completely frustrated about this same exact problem so I jumped on the forum and did some searching and wallah!!

How would one repair a chatter marked hole? It would seem that all the material would have to be removed which, may result in an over chamfered hole. In my case the part I have chattered holes on is the emp's rear spar doubler...should I order another one and redo it?

Unless the chatter marks are really deep, you should be able to straighten them out with another bit that does not chatter. Don't go too deep as to start countersinking the hole.

A standard rule in machining is anytime you get chatter, slow the cutter down and increase the feed (pressure). The five flute deburring cutters are the best, and don't tend to chatter.

My three-cutter bit chattered also, I could never get it to not chatter. I bought a single-hole bit a long time ago which works very well, it has never chattered.

Back