What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem Fitting Oil Breather Tube

647jc

Well Known Member
I?m installing a new Lycoming O320-D2A on a RV9-A. The aluminum oil breather tube Van supplies in the FWF kit isn?t even close to fitting. The flared end extends forward of the engine breather fitting exiting the engine to the rear when the tube is held up against the FW. Prints say to trim the flared end as needed but if I trim off the flared end, the rubber tubing will no longer fit the aluminum tube since the diameter of the tube (without the flare) is only ??. Would be interested hearing from others how they resolved this issue.

It sounds like the factory put the bend in the wrong location. If you're sure its the correct part number, you can swap if for a good one or re-bend the tube using one of those 3/4" i.d. spring-like tube benders.

finishing fwf,
Steve

I think the problem may be that my engine already has a 90 degree elbow of sorts on the oil vent, sort of a square elbow I assume all new engines come with. Anyway, the engine breather port points to the rear (after going through this elbow) rather than to the side as Vans drawings indicate and the 3/4 hose connection fitting is now about 1 inch to the rear of where the aluminum tube flare is. If I shorten the tube and cut the flare off I have the problem of joining a 3/4 hose fitting on the engine to a 1/2 aluminum tube. I'm not sure what the reference to a differen't NAPA hose is about.

Last edited:
Back