What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pro Sealing Firewall

Geico266

Well Known Member
Okay, I have been "successful" getting most of the proseal where it is suppose to go. I did not realize this stuff jumps 6'-10'! You certainly have to be in the right mood to work with this stuff.

Anyway, I have a few questions as the instructions on the pro seal containers are "limited" to say the least. I would like to paint the interior, but the proseal is very set after 24 hours.

1. How long does it take the stuff to cure enough to paint? Can I paint over the wet proseal, will it still cure? If

2. If I wait until the pro seal cures completely can it be sanded?

3. Does heat make the stuff cure faster? How about a heat lamp?

Okay, I have been "successful" getting most of the proseal where it is suppose to go. I did not realize this stuff jumps 6'-10'! You certainly have to be in the right mood to work with this stuff.

Anyway, I have a few questions as the instructions on the pro seal containers are "limited" to say the least. I would like to paint the interior, but the proseal is very set after 24 hours.

1. How long does it take the stuff to cure enough to paint? Can I paint over the wet proseal, will it still cure? If

2. If I wait until the pro seal cures completely can it be sanded?

3. Does heat make the stuff cure faster? How about a heat lamp?

Higher temps. do make Proseal cure faster. What part of the firewall has proseal, and will get painted. The aft perimeter of the firewall is supposed to be sealed with firewall sealant.

I was told by Vans either tank sealant or fire wall sealant. They could not ship the firewall sealant (hazmat reasons) so they shipped me the tank sealant instead.

I was told by Vans either tank sealant or fire wall sealant. They could not ship the firewall sealant (hazmat reasons) so they shipped me the tank sealant instead.

Well Larry; that is the real question. I have original plans that say firewall sealant, a revision that says tank sealant and another revision that switches back to firewall sealant. My advice is to either use the firewall sealant or contact Vans directly and get an offical determination on the sealant de jour. :) If you look at 29-03 the revision number is already up to 3. I got my fuse with rev1 built it to rev 2 then got rev 3. Talk to you local A&P, who can probably get you some firewall sealant.
Happy Building,
Bruce

We use proseal tank sealant for firewall applications all the time in the certified world. Never had any negative effects, but then again, I don't think we've ever caught one on fire either.

In answer to your original questions, temperature has a lot to do with cure time, and the mix ratio (of white taffy stuff to black drippy stuff that stains everything) can affect cure time, but the warmer the better. It can be painted but not sanded. It is essentially a rubber compound, so you could carefully trim with exacto knives if needed.

I'm not sure what you're planning to paint on the firewall. There's really no need to paint the stainless steel. I plan on a firewall sound deadening fabric on the cabin side. I don't often look at the area under the dash board in a car, so I'm not getting fancy under the instrument panel.

Back