What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Private Pilot exercising Sport Pilot Privileges

kritsher

Well Known Member
This question came up during my BFR:

I am a private pilot with a lapsed medical, exercising my sport pilot privileges to fly my RV-12. FAR 61.315 states that sport pilots cannot fly into class B, C, or D airspace without specific training and a logbook endorsement.

Question: does my private pilot certificate satisfy the requirement for that training and endorsement, allowing me to fly in those airspaces? OR, do I need to get a new, explicit endorsement stating that I can fly into those airspaces as a sport pilot?

I believe your private pilot training and experience is sufficient.
That is what I've told other pilots doing the same thing.

Your Private Pilot certificate satisfies the requirements for training and documentation with a logbook endorsement.

Dan

The answer is found in 61.303. Read thru the table carefully; you are exempt from the limitation on class B, C, D airspace.

All of the above! Keep on trucking'!

My question is; Didn't the instructor know this?

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. This was a CFI I had never before flown with and he had almost no LSA experience. He seemed to have some of the sport pilot and recreational pilot limitations confused. By the time I had explained to him that I COULD go more than 50 miles and that I could NOT fly at night We were both too confused to sort out the airspace question!

Been doin'it that way for four years

Based on input from AOPA legal advisors in 2010.

Wayne 120241/12143WM flying since Sept 2010 (and on 3rd fuel tank mod!)

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. This was a CFI I had never before flown with and he had almost no LSA experience. He seemed to have some of the sport pilot and recreational pilot limitations confused. By the time I had explained to him that I COULD go more than 50 miles and that I could NOT fly at night We were both too confused to sort out the airspace question!

Another way to look at it that I earned my PP license, which included all those things, and have never lost it. The only thing changed is that instead of a medical, I can now use my drivers license in lieu of a medical. That does carry with it the night prohibition, altitude restriction, type aircraft, etc.

Back