What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prior to Installing Cabin Cover

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Looking for tips on what people have done prior to riveting their cabin covers on?

Final sanding, painting, seat belt anchors, fitting doors, latches, headliners etc. Easier to do these before or after?

Seems like there are a lot of things to come together here.

Do as much sanding/filling/priming on the interior as you can. It will NOT be easier after you install the top as several of us have proven. You could also do the pinhole filling on the exterior while it is off although I'm not sure how much easier it is before vs. after. Drill at least locator holes for the front seat shoulder belts - you will not be able to see the hardpoints after priming. Save the door fitting until after you have the top securely in place.

A lot of people are mounting AHRS, magnetometer, etc. in the aft portion of the battery bay in the tailcone or the next bay aft. This area is much easier to work in before final install of the cabin top.

Doors are best left until after the cabin top is installed. There's nothing that I can think of to be gained doing them before.

Bob #40105
Still finishing...

Make sure ALL of the wiring, plumbing, sound insulation, ETC is done first.

Access really goes down with the lid on.

Mike

Fitting doors before final installation of the cabin top

Is there any drawback or reason not to get the doors fitted with the top temporarily in place? I'm at a point where I can go ahead and work on the doors, but want to still have the easy access to the fuse for installing wiring, plumbing, etc.

Should be fine IF----

You need to do all work on the doors with the cabin lid at least clecoed to the fuse tub. If there is any twist or misalignment of the top, your doors will be fitted to the same twist etc.

When you bond the inner and outer door parts together, you pretty much lock the door shape in and it is not going to be easy to change it.

Rough fit things, fine. After the cover is riveted on, final fit, and then bond the door parts to each other.

FWIW, I have cleco'd and bolted the top on and fitted/bonded the doors. Don't know if that will be a problem later but I'm satisfied with the effort so far.

I intend to follow all the other advice about getting as much done before final fitting of the top including the panel and the engine.

Bill Watson
Panel started, engine started, everything is all over the place.

Back