What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming the Torque Tube Assemblies

Mouser

A quick question about priming the torque tube assemblies in Section 23. On page 5, step 4, the plans indicate that the torque tube collars get primer inside and out, and that the forward torque tube assembly gets primer inside. I don't see anywhere where it says to prime the inside of the aft torque tube assembly. Is there a reason for this, or is it an omission in the plans?

Torque Tubes

I used Dinitrol anti corrosion treatment inside all my torque tubes, both aluminum and steel. So far have not primed the outside of any of them although I'm still building.

I primed the inside of all of the torque tubes with Aerospace coatings self etch primer. Prior to paint I used a scotch brite pad on the end of a rod hooked to a drill to clean the inside of the tube, then I mixed it up the primer and poured it in, sloshed it around and emptied.

I would file this under a plans omission. I went ahead and primed the inside of the tubes. Not sure why they have us prime OVER the powder coating though.

That's kind of the opposite of a plans omission (a plans inclusion?) where they got carried away. Possibly the early weldments weren't coated when they wrote the instructions. You only need to prime or coat bare metal.

I meant the omission was to prime all the interior tubes. Plans only call for a few. You ate right, the exterior tube prime is redundant and not an omission.

Back