What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer

Im just starting my empenage and am planning on giving them a light coat. Figure a little is better than nothing. I'm also using the sherwin williams wash primer van's uses.

To prime the interior of metal parts during construction or not?

That is the question.....

The question is absolutely unanswerable! There is no answer. Not even an incorrect or correct one. None. Zip, zilch, nada!!

If you don't believe me, do a search on the forums, especially the "Never Ending Debate" section.

:p:D;):confused::rolleyes::eek::p

Sherwin Williams Industrial Wash Primer

If you choose to prime internal components for corrosion protection purposes, I'd stay away from Sherwin Williams P60G2. This is the stuff Van's uses on their quick builds, so I figured if it's good for them, it's good for me. It wasn't until much later that I found out this primer is not intended as a corrosion inhibitor. :mad:

Corossion

Darrell,

I noticed you live in Houston. I'm also in Houston and building a 7. I am using the Sherwin-Williams 3 part epoxy and have used the SW wash primer that Vans recomends with decent results on several surfaces. I switched to the epoxy because it's overall application prior to topcoat is easier.

I don't have to tell you that in a coastal climate like we're in priming is highly recomended. I once had a Cessna that I sold in Houston. The poor guy let it set out for several years and it was a total loss at annual due to corrosion.

Like Pete said it all comes down to how your going to store and maintain your plane and an overall personal choice. It does drive up the cost though. A good alternative is a product called ACF-50. It's a MIL spec product used for controlling corrosion on aircraft electrical, avionics systems and airframes. It dries like a wax inside the wings and fuselage and is usually applied after the plane is painted. I have an A&P friend that only uses this stuff and he loves it.

Good luck with your project. I would be happy to show you the primer products and pass along some names and numbers of SW reps that can help in Houston.

Last edited:
two types

As already mentioned this is a never ending debate and it really comes down to how your going to use that airplane. Priming internal parts does add some work to the construction process. I also believe it adds to the resale value. Alclad aluminum doesn't really need a primer. Even so some sort of a primer will be better than none in the VERY long term. Then of course there is the type of primer... Epoxy being the best.... and the heaviest. Keep in mind there are two types of the SW P60 G2 wash primer. The one vans uses is clear and has NO zinc chromate in it. The other version is green and has zinc chromate in it.

Back