What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer Wars

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I have to make a decision on interior priming. I understand this had been argued into the ground before I came along, can anyone give me some reference I can go back to in order to form an opinion? Actually I have an opinion, I don't think it is necessary.

There is a search function in the blue border about 25% of the way down the page. Select the function and type in "primer". Hours of reading awaits, and the great thing is you'll see variations on the same arguments again and again and again.

Good luck on your decision.

Here's one 'short cut' of sorts...

Don, this is a thread that was posted a few weeks back:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=67286

In my post on pg. 1 I tried to summarize some recent threads on priming (actually, on corrosion control) I found helpful, and it includes examples of 3 different approaches each of which pleased the owners.

We've previously PM'd about your location relative to the Gulf Coast and I remember your inclination was not to prime. FWIW when I talked with Mitch Lock about the decision he made (not to prime his -12), we discussed distance from a salt water body vs. necessity for corrosion protection. He's located 75 miles from the Atlantic but adjacent to the brackish Chesapeake, and he thought that wasn't sufficient reason to prime. Also, he has a hangar available. Offsetting that choice is that - someday - you will want to sell and some potential buyers may come from coastal areas, and will view priming as a necessity. No free lunch, as always...

I've read a lot of priming-related threads (and all the corrosion-protection threads, including those in the archives), and I just don't see the 'primer wars' we often hear being referenced. Just lots of discussion from a variety of viewpoints, like almost all the helpful content on this forum.

Good luck on starting your project. I envy you that garage. :)

Jack

You make a convincing point Jetguy, no it is not primed, has no corrosion whatever, and will celebrate its 65th birthday in two months. I am thinking that is why we use Alclad in the first place.

Is the inside of that Ercoupe primed?:p

Back