What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer question... pls forgive me for asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTBengel

Primer question... forgive me for asking

I'm building a QB RV7... I'm the type that would use an epoxy primer just to be safe but since the fuselage and wings are already primed in P60G2 I can't see the sense of using epoxy primer on the rest of the airframe. The P60G2 primed wings and fuselage would always be the limiting factor on corrosion protection so I'm leaning on P60G2 for the rest. It has the advantage of being lighter and less expensive. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Epoxy vs Wash primer

You bring up a great point. I live in florida and want to build a RV with the quick build kit but also understand that epoxy primer is best in humid florida. I see no reason to epoxy prime the tail if the wings and fuslage are wash primer. It would be great to hear from others that have used quick build kits how they have delt with this. Thanks!

My quick build was not primed when it came to me in 2006. The paperwork led me to believe it would be. There was not much I could do but spray it good where I could. I am a zinc chromate guy. I know that is a bad word now a days but I am old fashioned about it.

Mark,

If you just want some great corossion protection and dont want to wait days for a two or three part epoxy primer to harden up, and are set on Sherwin-Williams products, check out this. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=E2G970

The E2G970 is a very tough etch primer for all metal parts used on the RVs. Although it is an etch primer I scuff the parts good with red scotch-brite, clean all finger prints with SW metal prep and surface cleaner, and spray it on. The great thing about this primer is that working out of garages like most of us do and using a HVLP gun, you can turn the gun pressure way down and have almost no overspray or caustic smell. It is sandable and you are able to spray a high build primer on later for areas like fiberglass fairings or just leave as is on interior parts. Also it is fairly affordable and has a quick clean up time. Give it a look and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back