What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primed Parts for Phase 1

mack55

Patron
I have decided that I will fly my RV7 first before painting. The tail is ready for paint primed with CM0483660 and I will re-scuff prior to color coats.

For the tip up canopy I did 98% of all the body work (Fiberglass layups, epoxy micros, and some light filler) and then I sprayed Sherwin Williams Corrosion Protective Epoxy Primer CM0483660 followed by their Epoxy Sanding Surface CM0560566.

My question for the group is should I do a final coat of the CMO560566 (Epoxy Primer) for the phase 1 flying or just leave it with the Sanding surface primer? Obviously I will have to scuff and possibly add another coat prior to final topcoat.

1st coat

After 2 coats of high build

Thoughts?

Product Data links attached

Attachments

• CM0483660 Corrosion Protective Epoxy Primer.pdf
    357.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CM0560563 Sanding Primer.pdf
    325.3 KB · Views: 5
I'm no expert but it seems there are a couple factors to consider.
  1. Are you expecting Phase one to last months in hostile conditions? If not primer probably not necessary.
  2. Is there a possibility of squawks found requiring modification to primed stuff? If so maybe don't prime.

If you plan to paint after phase 1 then wait until the end of phase 1 when you are ready for painting. The prep work for priming is just as much as painting so why do the work twice

I’m in the camp of never exposing bare fiberglass to the elements, especially sun. So some priming is needed.

If you plan on doing final paint yourself, all the fiberglass body work now just gets you ahead of the game. Check that the primer is compatable with whatever you plan to use for final paint. I recommend prepping the previously primed parts with a light sanding AND another coat of primer. Do not just top coat over sanded but old primer.

If you are going to use a paint shop ask them what primers are compatable with what they will use. Here again all body work now is an investment.

Do however use some neat epoxy then primer on the inside of the cowl to seal it. White primer is preferred but any primer then top coat with a rattle can of white paint if just as good. Add the radiant heat barriers on the inside of the cowl after paint.

Carl

Sounds like you're asking about a second type of epoxy primer over the first type. One should be adequate to protect the fiberglass. I'd worry more whether all the pin holes are filled. Those can catch oil and dirt that can affect later coat adhesion. That's why I chose to take all my parts with fg to the finish coat. I may have to sand it off for my complete paint but I know it won't be contaminated.

Back