What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prime question

PeteP

Well Known Member
Living here is extreem south eastern VA I suspect that my carbed O320 will not need a priming system except on rare ocassions. I am considering not installing a priming system but I am getting a mixed response from other local builders on this subject. If you have exoperience either way with a priming systems on a carbed O320 I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Hey Pete,

I too have a RV9 with an o-320. I did install a primer on two cylinders. Living in Wisconsin I thought it wise to have a primer. I also have dual P-mags and as a result I have only used the primer a handful of times and when I did I am not sure that I needed to. My thoughts on the primer were that if my battery became marginal, I wanted to get the engine fired as quickly as possible. Not sure if that is a good enough reason but that was my thought.

I used the primer on three cylinders (0-360). Starts so easily with the system, instead of spinning the prop to suck up fuel from the carb. I wouldn't be happy without it.

I prime on every startup in my carbed O320 with one mag and a LS ignition. I think it is more necessary on cold winter mornings (about 40 deg.) here in GA than the rest of the year. I plan to install a priming system in my current project as well, a Hatz Biplane.

I have an O-320 with primer to three cylinders, and it gets cold up here. I haven't used it but a few times, and I doubt that I have ever needed it. My thoughts, if you need it, you need to pre-heat, and then you wouldn't need it anyway. Another possible source of problems. YMMV...

(Should have noted I have dual P-Mags, probably helps a bunch.)

Bob

Last edited:
I've been flying my Rv-9A just over a year with an 0-320 carbed engine with no primer. I am getting ready to install one because the engine turns over three or four times before starting using only the accelerator pump while cranking. I see no reason for the extra wear on the starter and battery when it will start on the first or second blade with a little prime.

Every engine starts differently. I use 2 shots of prime first start of the day (O-320). After that, I don't touch anything but the starter button. Always starts on first or second blade. Been working perfectly for almost 20 years.

Back