What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preview plans - Nice surprise

Sasben

I've been away from flying for a few years now, but picked it up again in the last 6 months. I've had my Australian licensed authorized for use in the US now (so have an FAA license card).

I have recently completed the written, FBO check outs, had my IACRA form prepped and ready to book my checkride (once the weather improves here in Philly).

When living in Australia, I had the preview plans for the 7, was about the order the emp when I started my relocation to the US. The relocation included for sale of my aircraft as well as selling off a share in another.

Over the last few months in getting back into the air, I started turning my attention to finding another share in an aircraft as well as commencing a build.

After some long discussions with the wife, we eventually decided to wait a few years and go for the -10 rather than the -7. (She MUST have the option to bring more luggage and a dog, or have room as the family grows).

So with the news of no building for 5-6 years, I moved my focus back to looking for a share in a 182, Arrow or Saratoga etc.

My birthday is a few days away and wouldn't you know it, my wife gave me preview plans for the -10 for my bday :D (updated: as per flion below... I am not sure if they are preview plans, but they are a large collection of A3 paper, bound on the short edge... hmmm... what is it?)

What a gal!

I think I better hurry up on the house hunting we are doing so I can move into a 2 car garage!

Last edited:
She may be more awesome than you think. There are no preview plans for the -10, so if you are looking at the plans set then there may be some kits stashed somewhere for you.

She may be more awesome than you think. There are no preview plans for the -10, so if you are looking at the plans set then there may be some kits stashed somewhere for you.

Holy ****.. I hadn't considered that.

I haven't opened the package yet (bday in a few days) however it is from Vans aircraft as per shipping label and looks like a large A3 collection of papers, binded on the short edge

What could that be?

I had the preview plans for the 7, but they came in a folder/binder.

I did not think they would sell those without the emp kit...

you may have a nice big flat box coming soon.

I thought about buying a 182, 206...but after looking to spend almost as much for a 25-35 yr old airplane we just placed our order for the entire kit. It has been alot more work than I expected...90 hrs per month. No vacations, very little going out to eat, no new vehicles, just what we have to have to live comfortable until it is finished. I planned on two years and right on schedule. Very difficult to do time/energy/money wise, but definitely doable if one is debt free. My wife helped on all of the difficult to rivet areas. I had a very good mentor Ted Chang an hour away which saved me many hours of research. Thanks Ted! It is a dream to takeoff/fly/land compared to the 172's that I am used to. 1500 fpm climb rate at 100+ kts...totally awesome. Good luck on the build and have fun.

Yeah, they will sell it. Just order the part number and they will show up on the door.

We need to get you a kit now!

Phil

Back