What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preview plans came today :)

And thus begins the route to building my own aircraft. How cool is that? After extensive forum surfing, I have decided on the RV7..The support network and information available to RV builders is unparalleled.

I am attending a RV builders class in Corona CA in December. Right after that, I anticipate the empennage order.

To say that I am excited to take on this project would be an understatement :D

The reason I am not starting earlier, is that I am getting married in Sept and have some training for my job in Oct. Dovetails nicely with getting the shop setup, ordering tools etc...

Cheers, Bill

Last edited:
Congratulations on all! Most of your new ventures sound like fun! Just kidding, I'm sure you'll enjoy it all! This is a great site in times of trouble and confusion, at least from the building standpoint. Have Fun!

Slats:

Today is indeed an exciting day for you. One of the good things about this life style is the many exciting days you'll get while building and flying.

I had another exciting day myself today: a pretty red Mattituck van showed up this morning and delivered my shiny new TMX-IO-360. The driver informed me had just delivered an identical engine to a RV-8 builder in Reading.

Enjoy the exciting days. They are memorable.

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
Slats:

Today is indeed an exciting day for you. One of the good things about this life style is the many exciting days you'll get while building and flying.

I had another exciting day myself today: a pretty red Mattituck van showed up this morning and delivered my shiny new TMX-IO-360. The driver informed me had just delivered an identical engine to a RV-8 builder in Reading.

Enjoy the exciting days. They are memorable.

Jekyll

I am envious...Congrats, that is a huge milestone...

Bill

Slats Extend said:
I am attending a RV builders class in Corona CA in December. Right after that, I anticipate the empennage order.
Bill...if it's the Dec 2-3 SportAir workshop, I'll see ya there. If you want an RV-7 ride before then and you're somewhere in SoCal, just holler.

Dan, that is the workshop that I will be attending!

I have also spent time on your excellent blog! And I would love to take you up on that ride!

I'll keep you in mind when in SoCal

Cheers, Bill

Dan,
Are you leading the September SportAir RV Assembly workshop in Corona? I've considered it but haven't made the reservation yet. Still spots available as of early this week.

DR JK said:
Dan,
Are you leading the September SportAir RV Assembly workshop in Corona? I've considered it but haven't made the reservation yet. Still spots available as of early this week.
Yep. I'm teaching these "RV Assembly" workshops:
- Oshkosh, WI Aug 26-27
- Corona, CA Sep 9-10
- Corona, CA Dec 2-3

Oh boy, you guys better get ready, Dan's a tough taskmaster! Not. Very nice guy, I know you guys will have fun.

Welcome aboard Slats, I'm a repeat offender. I built an RV-4 and now I've got the preview plans for the RV-7 and will be ordering the empenage kit as soon as I'm done repairing my elevator on the RV-4 (if I don't find another builder close by that's selling a tail kit first).

This stuff gets in your blood!

Wow Scott, you are definitely a motivated builder! I am looking forward to the class with Dan.It will be an honor to meet him after spending countless hours of amazement on his website..

Cheers, Bill

soooo freekin excited

I too just got the previews and will be at Synergyair in Eugene for some adult supervision on the empenage i bought last week. Dude... you are lucky youve got Dan offering you rides in socal, I dont seem to have anyone near by that i can mooch any airtime off of,[i confess ive never even been in a flying rv :eek:]. Also, just read your recent article on the Dynon in kitplanes Dan, nice work, i'm sold already.

Harland, I agree that we are very fortunate to have people like Dan involved with these things...Allthe more reason that I am going with a Vans...That said, you have my interest in Synergyair...One of the big debates within myself taking on this project are QB,or SB, or any combo of the above...There are many compelling reasons to go with the SB... I would imagine if I went to Syergyair for supervision and advice while building the empennage, I would have the necessary skills and confidence to do the rest SB...

I will be taking the EAA RV building course that Dan is teaching in DEC. After that, I decide which way to go...

Cheers, Bill

Bill , we hope that by investing $2-3000 in learning offsets the allmost $10000 additional we would have to invest in the QB, we would probably do both if we could afford it but this freekin hobby/obsession is REALLY expensive and my partner and i have more time than money so we hope this is the right course for us. So far all indications are that we made the right choice

Don't be intimidated by the standard kits. I think building the tail is the hardest part, my opinion only. :) The rest is all down hill. Hey, I'm stupid and I built an RV-4 that actually flies! If you're slightly smarter than stupid, these new match-hole kits will be a breeze!

Back