What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preventing Vapor Lock

Mich48041

Well Known Member
Friend
My fuel delivery line to the fuel pressure sensor lays against the cylinder cooling water hose, and the water hose also is against the sensor as well. Wondering if the heat is sufficient to vaporize the fuel in the line? I am planning to move the sensor to provide a little space, but it is in the location called for in the plans. Comment?
Even if the fuel in that line was boiling and the vapor traveled back to the fuel manifold, the vapor would not be able to travel upstream through the manifold to get into the carburetors. The vapor would be forced through the return line.

It will help to cool other parts of the under-cowl fuel system i.e., gascolator, fuel pump, fuel manifold and carburetor bowls. The fuel in the carburetor bowls is in danger of vaporizing because it is exposed to atmospheric pressure, no longer being pressurized by the fuel pumps. In addition, the carburetors are located right above the hot exhaust pipes.
A heat shield around the gascolator will protect it from muffler heat.
Untried idea: Small scat tubes could run along the firewall shelf and be aimed at the aft side of the carb bowls. Two cushion clamps could hold each scat tube to the engine mount.
Joe Gores

Joe, some valid points , thanks. Have you done the gascolater shield and has it provided any benefit? I like the scat tube cooling idea as it helped keep the mags cool on my 6A. I am scratching my head tho trying to visualize how the tubes would be installed on the 12.
Dick Seiders

Shroud

Dick, I fabbed up a gascolator shroud from f'glas, affixed with two AN-3 bolts thru firewall. It accepts 1 1/4 scat from right "eyeball." Drops temp at gascolator >40F throughout flight, not so much when sitting on ground at idle.

I do not know if this has substantially helped but it pretty much took vapor formation in the gascolator off the table as I searched for solution to fuel pressure variations.

Jim
RV12 #264
new fuel pump today

Back