What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preventing crankcase corrosion

Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I have just finished the fwf part of my project and have noticed a few tiny spots of white corrosion on the Rotax crankcase. My project is hangared about a mile from the coast in a warm wet climate.

The owner of a trike in the next hangar has over 1000 hrs on his 912 engine, and it?s immaculate. His secret is a silicone lubricant spray that he applies a couple of times a year. It readily dries to a clear almost invisible coating.

I have heard that silicone is the bane of aircraft painters, but I reckon I could wrap the fwd fuse whilst I carefully sprayed the exposed crankcase.

Has anybody been down this track? Or knows of a better system to stop sea air corrosion on a crankcase already installed?

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Rod

Yep...Corrosion X...

...or as it used to be called "Corrosion block".

I had a jet boat that we took down to the ocean via the Savannah river every year.

Its 455 Olds engine was exposed and after getting home it would have a severe layer of white, corrosion ash but a spray of corrosion X would make the aluminium (Euro spelling:)) intake manifold look like new in half a day or so.

It's also the substance that is used to 'mist' inside airplane wings and fuselages to inhibit corrosion, as it weeps between the overlapping skins but is also the bane of airplane painters.

Best,

Does it dry off?

Hi Pierre,
I googled Corrosion X or ACF-50 and thay seem to be a better choice than a silicone spray. Thanks for the tip.
Does Corrosion X go dry and clear, or stay soft or sticky? Is it likely to collect dust like a grease or wax? The manufacturers dont say.

Rod

Back