What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prestolite alternator on RV-7

Vansrv7arob

Well Known Member
Anyone using Chrysler 60A alternator on RV-7 O-360 any issues with cowl clearance? How did you resolve these?

No don't want to replace with ND, Plane power, B+C smaller alternator unless completely nessary, keen to use the heavy dinosaur for weight and balance benefits, as well as that I have two that work on hand.

Last edited:
I expect you will have trouble with clearance. That's a monster alternator. Even the smaller alternators can have clearance issues if the belt is too long. Nothing wrong with putting a bister on the cowl if want to keep the Prestolite.

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply just realised I was talking about a Chrysler alternator rather than prestolite, if that makes any difference.

Even with the Chrysler, you're going to have to blister the cowl Rob - I've had to do it with the ND on some RV's, the cowling is so tight.

Have you got an old-style boat-anchor starter? That will help with CG if you're trying to put weight on the nose....of course, it could leave you stuck in the cold!

I asked the same question on my last 10. Nobody answered and instead of scarring the cowl paint I just hung a little denso unit. I'm ready to hang another alternator now so in the next couple days I'll stick a Mopar unit on and see if it fits. Will report back.

Starter yes big boat anchor

It generally doesn't get too cold here in oz like it does in North America so should be right with it, I also have two of these. Maybe the best thing to do is sell the two Chrysler Alternators if they are worth anything?

Maybe I can put a real cheapy denso etc on the front, I have like many have an open accessory/vacuum pad at the back that needs to be blocked off (the blanking plate from superior/lycoming is about 30-50 bucks alone so maybe I should put a b+C or plane power there to help with weight and redundancy and use it to block off pad

On that note Lycoming parts manual has two different drive gears listed for that accessory pad one for with accessory and one for vacuum anyone know if vacuum type needs to be changed out to fit alternator there?

My O-320 E2D began its life on a Skyhawk with a vacuum pump. There was no modification/change required to the drive gear for the B&C SD-20 drive to fit perfectly.

I suspect your engine will be the same.

Cowl clearance

Keep the old alternators. Cut about a four inch hole where you need extra clearance in the cowl (usually at the pully/fan area) tapper the edges, stuff a balloon in the hole for shape, glass over, sand smooth, carry on. These alternators are just fine, they are just a little bigger in size, will always run cool because of the extra capacity that will never be used.

Cowl clearance

Forgot to mention, that you can also get more clearance by cutting down the size of the alternator front casting and reducing the diameter of the fan. Costs no money, just a little effort.

Back