What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preplanning for wings

Robin8er

Well Known Member
Patron
I have started an rv 8 empenage kit, everything is fitted and currently has epoxy primer drying. I'll start riveting this weekend. I'm starting to get ready to order the wings.

The tail is easy, there's nothing in it. But the wings have the pitot tube, lights, gas tanks, possibly servos, magnetometers etc. How much planning does this take? I don't even know what avionics I will have. I'm not planning to have the plane finished for about 3 or 4 years. I want to plan, I just don't know exactly what to plan for.

Any insight is appreciated.

Robby

Run the conduit down both wings and install a pitot tube mast. (I liked the Gretz mast.) Check the Van's site for details of recommended hole locations.

You can install the auto pilot roll servo bracket at any time. If you think you might use the Dynon pitot, you can drill holes for the AoA line at the same time as the Pitot line. Installing the controller for their heated pitot can be done now or later. Even if you don't go with Dynon, you can use their pitot.

Planning

Run the conduit down both wings and install a pitot tube mast. (I liked the Gretz mast.) Check the Van's site for details of recommended hole locations.

You can install the auto pilot roll servo bracket at any time. If you think you might use the Dynon pitot, you can drill holes for the AoA line at the same time as the Pitot line. Installing the controller for their heated pitot can be done now or later. Even if you don't go with Dynon, you can use their pitot.

Yep. That's how I did it. I added the nut plates for the Dynon heater for the future. Hopefully they won't change the dimension! BTW, SafeAir plumbing is pretty cool stuff.
One thing to add is to carefully plan where the plumbing lines are going to route so you don't have to scratch your head when the time comes. Don't ask.
The tanks only have a couple of choices. Sending unit and pickup.
You may want to start looking at wing jig ideas and how they will fit your workspace.

You need to do some up front planning in my opinion. Things like the location of the pitot tube and think about what lighting you want. I made a spreadsheet with the holes listed for each rib and then assigned which wires are going through each hole. For example the holes that are used for the pitot tubing are not present in the outboard ribs since it is mounted mid wing. So first I used this spreadsheet as a guide for drilling the ribs then later I used it while pulling wires and tubing. You can also plan for future additions. In my case I don't have a NAV radio in the initial build but I did plan to route a coax to the wingtip at some point.

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a copy of my spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'll be honest, I"m not too concerned about what lights I use or stuff like that, Really I just want to install stuff that is reliable and will work well with the plane.

Back