What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prepaint Gap

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I'm finishing the gap between the doors and cabin top (flush with outside surface) and am wondering what size gap I should leave so, after priming and painting, the two parts don't rub. The pieces don't seal at this gap, but I want a nice uniform gap that is as small as possible but not so small they conflict and chip paint. Right now I've got it at about 0.030" but I'm thinking that's not enough.

Any help?

Flying to Missoula

Sorry I can't help much with the paint gap. My RV7a isn't painted yet. I was told by another builder that he allow about a dime's worth of gap. On another subject, I plan on flying to Missoula from Colorado in April and wondered about a possible route. Thanks Randy

Hi, if you've put a 45 degree bevel on the cabin & a bevel on the inside of the door edge then those are the surfaces that will touch. I just finished "tuning" these and only left enough gap to slide in a piece of paper (a Vans invoice) all the way around. The visual gap around the edge of the door came out quite a bit bigger. Somewhere around .030".

Credit Card

This I have been told by a Lindy award winning Lancair owner.
The Gap should be wide enough for a credit card to slide through,
probably about the same as a dime but less scratchy.
I think you are in the ball park.

Painters?

I checked and a dime is 0.050" and all my credit cards are right at 0.030". I think I'll call a painter and ask what they recommend. Essentially, I need to know the typical paint/primer thickness, multiply times 2 and leave a small amount for finished gap.

Any painters out there who can offer info?

Back