What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prep for a build??

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hey, what did you guys all do to get ready for a build?

I had this all figured out in terms of a shop set-up and a build course. But that was in terms of an RV7 project. So what did you guys do differently? Did you guys still go out and buy the same tool kit, build the same work benches, buy the same compressor, etc.???

Thanks. Andy

I would not bother with the building course...they are geared toward pounding rivets (match drilling, deburring, dimpling). The class will not be very beneficial for RV-12 builders IMO.

You could get away with a smaller compressor compared to building a -7 if you are not painting (pull rivet will require less air). Regardless, you will never regret buying a bigger compressor.

Workbench requirements will probably be similar. If anything, more is likely needed for the -12 as the wings are built in benches instead of on a jig/stand.

You will not need some of the tools required for the -7 so tool purchases can be different. One of the kits geared toward the -12 should do the job

Prep for a build

Andy,

The course question is a personal one and will relate to your previous experience
and confidence in working with metal. For a small fraction of the total
cost of your kit you would be equipping yourself to begin your build with
a known degree of expertise and fundamental knowledge.

I have to declare a self-interest here as I run builder courses. I anticipate
a large RV-12 builder following down the track and will be tailoring a workshop
to cater for those folks - right after I finish my own! Ha.

Regardless of your decision, there is no such thing as a dumb question
and there are countless numbers of builders willing to offer useful input.

Good building.

Sam
Temora Australia

Thanks everyone. Hey Sam, I wouldn't mind coming down under for a course!! I might want to stay for a while though.:)

I am now in the final phase of my "prep". I ordered my kit 6 weeks ago and it is due to ship in another 2. In the mean time I have been getting set. Get the tools you need. View the RV-12 builders pages to see what is involved, and any tips that others can share. Join EAA if you haven't already. They have some good builder videos. I also located a couple of experienced RV builders in my area. They invited me over to practice dimpling and squeezing rivets.When you order your kit, have them ship you the plans now. At first they looked daunting, but after studying them they don't seem so complex. Set up your shop. Are you going to prime, and what? Everybody has an opinion on this subject. I will use the Stewart water based and only do mating surfaces and non-Alclad parts. Good luck.

Hey, what did you guys all do to get ready for a build?

I had this all figured out in terms of a shop set-up and a build course. But that was in terms of an RV7 project. So what did you guys do differently? Did you guys still go out and buy the same tool kit, build the same work benches, buy the same compressor, etc.???

Thanks. Andy

Andy.... Since the RV12 wings come off, consider building a wing stand to store them, especially if you build the wings first. I built the wings on two EAA tables and then skinned them on four large folding luncheon tables. You don't need an impact rivet gun, just a pneumatic rivet puller, a tight space rivet puller and a hand rivet squeezer. So far I not used a rivet angle tool.

Consider the Avery RV-12 tool kit. You will need to modify a spring punch to punch out the mandrel in a pulled rivet before drilling off the manufactured head and consider a #31 drill for that step. Other tools not included in the Avery kit are rivet gauges, a smaller unibit, a number of one inch and two inch scotchbrite wheels and adapters, an awl for making an alignment tool, and a HVLP paint gun setup including a "respirator." I had access to a "80 inch" band saw also.

Jeff

Last edited:
I am an EAA member for my second year now. But I have never taken the time to go watch those videos, which seems kind of stupid given all the "project" time I am spending!!

I think I still might like to take a builders class ...maybe just for the experience. And I haven't ruled out an RV7 build yet. To be honest, I am enamored with both planes but for different reasons. I think my Dad would really like to jump into a project too, and I think the 12 would be much easier to build as a team project. Neither one of us has an ounce of building or fabricating experience ...yet!! Oh, and I guess I am going to be spendign some time on the Avery site later too! Thanks for the tips.

I think I still might like to take a builders class ...maybe just for the experience. And I haven't ruled out an RV7 build yet. To be honest, I am enamored with both planes but for different reasons. I think my Dad would really like to jump into a project too, and I think the 12 would be much easier to build as a team project.

Andy... As the number of repeat offenders here prove, it is the journey not just the destination that is attractive. I would take the opportunity to take a hands on builders coarse WITH your dad and see how the two of you work together bucking rivets. The experience of taking the class with your dad is probably worth it even if he never builds a plane with you. What the heck, take your dad to Alaska also and go fishing while you still can.

Jeff

take your dad to Alaska also and go fishing

Jeff

That's why I am building the plane!!

I looked at the avery tool kits last night and watched a ton of the EAA sheet metal videos. That really helped demystify the process. I actaully feel like building could be fun for the first time. If not fun, satisfying. There were some other good videos about creating a shop and what kinds of tool you might want to have.

One inch at a time!

Prep for RV12

I got lucky and had a partner that was experienced in building. We've got a 2-car garage and that's kinda nice. We've been using a 5 gallon twin cylinder compressor and a rivet puller. We tried the one from Harbor Freight but it was a piece of junk, so we ordered one from Spruce and it was worth every penny. I bought a woodburning tool and rounded the tip to strip off the plastic protecting the metal. I'd read all of the directions all of the way through so you can kinda wrap your mind around the way they give instructions. DON'T BE AFRAID OF ASKING DUMB QUESTIONS! I used to teach teenagers and I always told them that the only dumb question was the one they didn't ask. (not my quote). Read this website, especially the one involving questions, then make notes on your instruction manual.
I separated all the little bags into baggies, labeled them with a magic marker, then placed them in numerical sequence in two shoe boxes. If your a neat freak, keep your tools in order and the same with your parts.
Best of luck, it's a great trip and Vans did a great job on the instructions and illustrations. Oh yeah, get a good magnifying class, it'll help distinguish where different parts go.
Meade and George
#16:)

I am a new builder and waiting for my first kit (wing) to be shipped next month. I have both a two car garage and a single at home. I am converting the single to a workshop and will try to make do with that using the other for storage. So far I have made one workbench for my power tools and cleaned and painted the floor.

Back