What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Premium autogas

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a listing of airports providing 91-93 oct. cargas along the Atlanta - Lakeland route? Tried S&F website and can find no fuel other than 100ll at Lakeland.
Thanks
Dick Seiders

No Dick, I went last year and couldn't find any other than South Carolina which is out of your way. I just used AVgas and changed the oil. You might try the airport at Barnwell South Carolina. They sell it because they have several Corvair engines that use it there but they also have a lot of friends in Florida which is where William Wynne is, the Corvair guru. Sorry, don't know their number but I'm sure its on Airnav.

Pete

Thanks for the feedback. No easy answers. My plan (following research) is to continue to use 91 oct. mogas when available. When it's not I will add 100ll (ugh). I'll keep that to a minimum and will add mogas on subsequent fill ups. Anytime I do have to resort to the 100ll I will change the oil w/i 25 hrs following it's use (assuming I am still 25 short of the normal 50hrs). Of course since avgas is a possibility I will now switch from fully synthetic to semi synthetic oils.
I have been advised by savvy Rotax tech. that this approach is suitable. SI 912-016 says it's acceptable to use 100ll up to 30% of the time if oil is changed at 25 hr intervals. My interpretation of that is that you can run 100ll all the time (defined as anything over 30% of the time) at 25hr oil (and filter) change intervals, but then I am advised you must clean out the oil tank as well to remove any lead paste accumulations.
First paragraph above sounds good to me as I will steer clear of the 100ll except on long hauls when the alternative of hauling gas cans, running to gas stations, etc. overcomes my reluctance to use it.
Comments welcome.
Dick Seiders 120093

This is the crux of the problem now. AirNav does not publish whether mogas at airports is 87 AKI or 91+ AKI.

I am trying to correct that at http://www.flyunleaded.com/airports.php

I am asking for your help. If you fly to an airport with mogas, or you call an airport and ask about mogas status, I would appreciate it if you would use the link on the web site to send me an update message about an airport's mogas status. Or email me at [email protected] with the airport status. flyunleaded.com is the pure-gas.org of aviation.

This is the only way I know to get the word out. AirNav has been asked repeatedly by a number of pilots to supply this information and they are unwilling to do it, so we have to do it ourselves. flyunleaded.com is dedicated to LSA and mogas. Help it grow and pass the word. I will publish anything of interest or link to sites that LSA pilots are interested in.

Regards -- Dean

Last edited:
Oil for mogas or avgas...

Of course since avgas is a possibility I will now switch from fully synthetic to semi synthetic oils.
Comments welcome.
Dick Seiders 120093

Hi Dick,
Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 is a blended oil that is specifically designed for Rotax 912/914 type engines with gearboxes and clutches and is good for either mogas or 100LL. Here is a link to the Shell info. I feel comfortable with this oil, it is available locally in my area, I live in a big city, but you can also order it from A/C Spruce.

I have been using it since zero hours but have not had to burn any Avgas yet.

Tony

Dick

My interpretation of that is that you can run 100ll all the time

I don't know if Mitch Lock is on (this post) here but he is accessible thru Vans and he certainly has more hours on his RV12 than any of us. And I know from talking to him that his trips force him into the leaded route the majority of the time. Might be worthwhile to get his opinion on what he thinks about his engine at this point in time.

Pete

Thanks all.
Dean, I will save your site address and provide feedback whenever I have any.

Tony, I ordered a case of the plus 4 yesterday from Aircraft Spruce. Pricey. With UPS across town it's 12 bucks a litre. That's 26% higher than last year, and I am talking Spruce's price not including UPS freight. What a rip.

Pete, good thought I will ask Mitch.

John, maybe. Just starting to put it together. Are you planning on flying in?

Dick Seiders 120093

Dick,

Check with LEAF or Lockwood for prices on Aeroshell Aerosport 4. LEAF is cheapest for me in Michigan. The shipping is expensive. Get it from Lockwood when at SNF.

Also remember to add Decalin everytime you use 100LL.

I've over 200 hours on 914 using mogas and 100LL, Aero Sport 4 & Decalin with no problems.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS N241BW

Winterhaven, FL (KGIF) has mogas. It is located about 15 miles east of Lakeland. I fill up my -12 there after SnF. Nice FBO.

Last edited:
MoGas

Ya know, you would think the EAA would suggest to both Sun/Fun and Oshkosh that they require their fuel vendors to offer mogas. After all, they rent out entire areas to promote Rotax engine LSA's and mogas burning vintage aircraft yet ignore their fuel needs. Even the ultralights have to scrape up their own fuel sources. I'll send a note to Rod...he seems like a regular guy. Oshkosh last year we had a friend that was nice enough to scrape together enough plastic jugs, haul us across the street to the Gas Station (several trips) just so we could get far enough away from Oshkosh to find a mogas airport. I don't plan on visiting either one this year with my Rotax engine for that very reason. Its hard enough to find it on the way and then when you get to Oz, the Wizard doesn't have any.....

Last edited:
Selling MoGas has Potential Liability

I investigated adding moGas service at our airport, one of the reasons it is of limited availability is the potential liability. MoGas does not go through the QC or the filtering process that Av Gas does, so the refiners don't want to sell it for the purpose of putting it into aircraft.

There are also concerns that because of the price difference, operators of non-MoGas aircraft will try it in their continentals and lycomings and sue everybody if they have a problem.

Out here in CA, all MoGas contains alcohol, so us Rotax operators can burn it, but even the continental/lycoming users with STC for Mogas can't use it.

The majors would probably not permit an FBO to be a branded dealer if they started selling MoGas for aircraft use.

For most FBOs, the liability and limited market probably outweighs the benefit of selling MoGas.

(I'm just the messenger)

Gary, you are probably correct on the liabilty issue. That might explain why someone reported that it wasn't offered at Sebring for the LSA Exposition. in the meantime we go to gas stations and use 100ll when necessary. I suppose the good news is that the big push for lead free avgas will solve the problem for us if and when that happens.
Dick Seiders

Dick, the Sebring fuel farm both had and was selling mogas during the LSA Expo. In fact, while waiting for my -12 ride with Mitch, I watched several other dealers filling up their exhibitor a/c with it. Just in case you go back next year... <g>

Jack

Back