What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PreKote

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
We just had our Challenger Aircraft painted in Sanford, FL at Starport aviation and I was extremely interested on how professional shops etch and alodine the aircraft or paint a new aircraft.

The head of the paint shop Kerry told me that that etching and alodining an aircraft is ancient history and that I need to get my thinking up to date. He said use PreKote. I have bought this and read over the advertising and this is what the military is using on their paint jobs now. so how do you use this stuff.

Spray PREKOTE on and use a scotch brite medium pad and wash your aluminum pieces with it. let it stand 2 minutes then spray more PREKOTE on the piece and again wash it. After all this just rinse it with water from a hose...
I have done my tail surfaces and primed my horizontal vertical and all the elevator and rudder and the results are great.

here is the blip for Aircraft Spruce on it.

Give it a try I did and I am pleased.

Smilin' Jack

PREKOTE? SURFACE PRETREATMENT

PreKote? a simple procedure that replaces the use of traditional chromate conversion coatings and the need for acide etches, solvent washes and other toxic processes. Small aircraft shops have also used PreKote? to successfully replace the use of chromate conversion coating pens for smaller repair areas. By eliminating the need for these additional processes, paint preparation time and cost can be reduced by up to 40%.

Approved for use by the Boeing Commercial Aerospace Group, Department of Defense and currently flying over 1,500 United States Air Force aircraft, PreKote? has proven consistent results with a variety of paints and primers. PreKote? can be used on a wide range of surfaces including aluminum, steel, magnesium, titanium, CRES, galvanized, composite and plastic surfaces.

Environmental, Health & Safety Reason for Using PreKote
The use of PreKote? does not trigger categorical industrial user status under the Environmental Protection Agency's metal Finishing effluent guidelines. This makes PreKote? easy to dispose.

PreKote? use also eliminates the need for forced air containment suits which are required by OSHA when using traditional chromate conversion coatings. Simply rain gear and goggles/face shield are all that is required.

Select Size: Quart Gallon 5 Gallon 55 Gallon

good stuff

I have used prekote on my empennage. Works great. It is very important to do it twice like the instructions say and not to miss any areas. You can tell when you have it right, the water sheets right off. Any area missed will show up with beading water. I used self etching primer after prekote and got a very good bond. I think on the next painting step though I will skip the self etching primer and go with ppg dplf epoxy primer.

bird

I have painted many many airplanes in my past and have had to change my old ways too. This Prekote works great, I have done my wings and tail and primed with excellent results.

I used the yellowish green epoxy primer over the aluminum and it did work well. Not much since spending the money on etching primer when you've already etched it.

Glad this tidbit can help everyone out.

Smilin' jack

Rinse

Interesting that city water is actually specified as OK - usually a rinse is specified with de-ionised water, but who the heck has that in their hangars...:)

Used it as well

I too used it and found the results excellent. The lack of chromate was the thing that really attracted me.

I know a guy who has used Alodine etc and would rinse the parts out on his lawn. His dog has died of tumours, but what worries me is the kids who use the lawn!

I am all for a safer alternative that still does the same job.

Cheers

Jim

PPG is a urthane paint and PreKote was used on our aircraft in Fl. It was painted with Jet Glo which is an urthane. The paint shop in town that paints with PPG urthane stated he uses prekote also. He stated there are a lot of times that certain plastics do not take paint good and that the prekote works all the time even on steel.

I know of a couple of guys who used NAPA self etching primer in a spray can to prime their aircraft then painted them later with urthane and they worked out too.

I have used prekote on my wings., I primed them with a two part primer and were using PPG urthane for the topcoat. I sure hope it works well...At least the folks in the paint shop think so. What we have done so far on the tail feathers looks great.

I guess if you have concerns call the manufacture of prekote and then call your paint shop and see what they think.

Jack

Desogel (EAP-12) as another alternative

I looked around at the PreKote and the PPG alternative Desogel. Depending on which research you look at, they work very well.

It must be said that the chromates work better, however, this difference is basically do you want your plane to last 150 years or 200 years.

I personally used the Desogel and 7502 Epoxy primer from PPG. My personal research showed more favorable recommendations and research results than the PreKote. I am very happy with the results. All non-chromate. The Desogel is waterways friendly and the paint normal rubbish freindly.

Process for prep:
  1. Clean Aluminium: Acetone
  2. Acid Etch Wash and flush with water
  3. Dry and spray with Desogel EAP-12 (very very fine mist coat)
  4. Spray with Desoprime CF/CA 7502 Epoxy (1 - 24 hours after Desogel)

It does take a litle longer for the prep of the non-chromates, however, given I am backyard building non-chromates was a no-brainer. I just completed spraying in large batches of parts.

The main reasons against chromates were as follows:

1. After spraying dust on floor, most dangerous during post spray dusk kick up. :mad:
  2. Carcinogenic :mad:
  3. Very difficult and costly to dispose :eek:
  4. Backyard build close to family and freinds :mad:

Now after saying all this, I also bought all the correct spray equipment and breathing apperatus just to manage the fumes.

No matter what product direction you decide, my personal research across the defense forces, private industry (i.e. speaking to the primary companies chemical departments PPG, Akzo Nobel etc..) was that the non-chromates are very good now and are getting better and will work for a very very very long time.... Longer than you will ever need to worry about.

Hope this helps with the discussion. :D

Back